cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Difference between Residential & Business FTTP service?

I'm wondering what the package differences might be between FTTP Residential Full Fibre and Business Full Fibre service?

I would like to drop my secondary FTTC supplier that I ordered as a failover not only because I later learned they use the BT backbone - so no failover at all really but because they offered a static IP address where BT didn't...at least on their Residential package.

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Difference between Residential & Business FTTP service?

Hi @GlynH welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry about the delay getting back to you. I found this answer on the BT Business FAQ's

Business packages supply you with business-grade service, allowing you to benefit from the service level agreements, Static IP requirements, IT support, Guest Wi-Fi and a range of products that will assist you as you grow and expand.

If you've any specific questions about BT Business broadband they have their own forum that should be able to answer any questions.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Sorry for the late reply Neil…I’ve only just seen this!

I’m still waiting for OpenReach to acknowledge I have light at the pole directly outside my house despite the 8-port CBT being fitted early October! 😞

The reason I asked was because I really want a static IP address.

I dropped BT on the second line some years ago to sign up with PlusNet who were able to offer a static IP.

Is this something that might be an option with BT Residential do you think?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=- 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@GlynH 

Only BT Business provide static IP addresses, they are not available on any residential service.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for the quick reply Keith even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear! 😉

I was hoping to do away with PlusNet as all I keep it for is the static IP address.

When you say they are not available on any residential service are you including PlusNet or are you just referring to BT? 🤔

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

As this is a BTRetail forum he is referring to BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

If there is a CBT on a pole opposite your property , what does the DSL checker show for your address , if you have a Plusnet service the phone number option may work ( if it’s WLR ) otherwise use the address option
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Just dropped by to update this as I never receive notifications only to see I had received a couple of replies so thanks very much for that.

Well ever since it was installed on the pole directly outside my property (not opposite my property - there is another pole opposite) it has been showing as Superfast only and I have been logging on to check nearly every day since it was installed last October.

However that all changed today when I used the checker as there is now an Ultrafast option so I've just placed my order for the 900MB service!

I specifically asked numerous times about a static IP address and was repeatedly told it was available.

When pressed the representative assured me he had a static IP address but I know from experience sometimes they know not what they are talking about so lets see what happens on installation day which I am told will be 15th February exactly 4 months after the CBT appeared up the pole.

Just so you know I am not holding my breath having been down this road and similar roads before. I remember the time when I ordered a second Infinity line only to discover on the day that it was due to go live that is was an ADSL service. When I queried it I was told that Infinity wasn't available in my area despite my already having and using the service on the other line a few years prior!

I have been quoted £58 per month for the Ultrafast Halo service which is £7 cheaper than the up to 80MB service I have had for many years now but I am curious whether there were any offers on Ultrafast or if they expired at the end of January.

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I can assure you that you will not get a static PUBLIC IP address. The help desk are clueless, he was probably referring to a static private address on his LAN.

Given the stability of FTTP, your public IP address shouldn't change that often

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I figured as much but I must have pressed the static IP question about half a dozen times and he was adamant which as a customer is all I have to go on...apart from those distinguished Guru's in here of course! 🙂

As I travel a lot and need remote access a static IP address is a must have for me.

I played about with DDNS back in the day bit its no substitute for a proper static IP and to be honest over the years I've just gotten used to it.

I was hoping to drop my PlusNet service that I originally put on purely for the static IP function (although the idea at the time was also for redundancy/failover) as now I'm out of contract I didn't realise I've been paying £50 per month instead of the £25 I signed up for! 😫

I was also paying £66 per month for up to 80MB with BT as I came out of contract in 2014 so the new deal of £58 per month for up to 900MB is quite a saving for me.

-=Glyn=-

0 Ratings