cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Difference between 'broadband' port and 'wan' port?

Go to solution

Just had fibre installed. The installer set up the router (BT Homehub 2) with the modem connected to the 'Wan' port (red label above yellow socket) and it appears to be working ok, but the instructions say to use the 'Broadband' port. Which is correct?

I really need the 4 ethernet ports so is it possible to connect the modem to the broadband port and reconfigure the WAN to LAN?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Difference between 'broadband' port and 'wan' port?

Go to solution

What you have is correct, the broadband port is for copper based services. If you need more ports you’ll have to add a switch.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If it is “full fibre”, (or FTTP), coming through an ONT, (a box on the wall with lights on it), it must connect to the WAN port with an ethernet cable using RJ45 plugs.

If it is “fibre”, (i.e. FTTC), coming through the master (phone) socket, it must connect to the DSL/Broadband port with an RJ11 cable.

The two work on completely different principles and wiring so they are not interchangeable.  You have to use the correct one.

As far as more LAN ports go, would need a “gigabit unmanaged switch”.  Personally, I think the 8 port models are better value for money that the 5 port models.    You’ll get one online for £25 or less.  You connect one of the LAN ports on the hub to one on the switch and then you can use the other ports for your devices.  Oh, and you can have potentially up to 100m between the two.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I assumed that by "fibre" & reference to an installer that you're talking about Full Fibre/FTTP.  But @WSH raises a valid point, that if on the off chance you have an FTTC modem connected to a master socket then you could bypass that & connect directly to the grey socket on the SH2. Tus freeing up the 4th LAN port.

But I can't see any circumstances in which that scenario would have come about. Openreach haven't installed FTTC modems for many, many years & if you already had one, you'd already have FTTC & wouldn't need an installer.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks all. I didn't realize there was such a thing as fibre-to-cabinet. That was never an option where I live.

If anyone from BT is reading this, then *please* update your documentation. You go to a lot of effort to write instruction manuals and make videos but they're not much use if you don't include the basic info.

0 Ratings