Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rivan0710
Message 1 of 4

Different download/upload speeds on different devices

Go to solution

Hello

After 18 months of trying to persuade BT/Open Reach that I should indeed be able to have fibre broadband even though they insisted that it wasn't available in my area, I finally spoke with a BT call centre employee who actually LISTENED to what I was saying and got back to me within days to tell me that yes, of course I could up-grade to superfast fibre broadband.

The engineer came on Friday 24 May and the installation went well, but unfortunately I was not able to be present myself or the curent problem might well not exist.

The 'My BT Troubleshooter and Speed tester' tells me that the download speed between the exchange and my  Smart Hub is 74.3Mb/s. After the last 18 months on a speed of less than 9Mb/s this should be music to my ears but unfortunately there does seem to be a problem.

The 'BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test' tells me that on the device I am using, I have a download speed of 11.04Mb/s and an upload speed of 0.

'Broadband Speed Checker' tells me that on the same device, I have a download speed of 8.04Mb/s and an upload speed of 20.82Mb/s.

'Which Broadband Speed Test' offers similar figures (again from the same device) of 9.7Mb/s download speed and an upload speed of 20.4 Mb/s.

The device I am using is a Dell Inspiron 3268 with no known issues which is connected to my Smart Hub via an ethernet cable. At the same time as this other devices with wireless connections are all achieving download speeds of 50+ Mb/s and upload speeds of 20+Mb/s

Now it looks as though it could well be my PC that is the problem here, but then it was happily working on the 8-9Mb/s of standard broadband and has previously been in use with FTTC broadband, so before I rush out, buy a new PC and discover the same problem still exists, I thought I should try and seek guidance and possibly even a solution!

Here's hoping someone can help!

Oh and though I'm not exactly a technophobe, my knowledge of IT jargon is strictly limited, so any responses in plain-ish English please!

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Different download/upload speeds on different devices

Go to solution

Update your network adapter drivers.

DELL

What antivirus are you running as some have been known to cause caching issues with speed tests.

rivan0710
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

This was exactly the correct advice!

Drivers downloaded from Dell and I now have a download speed of 74.1 Mb/s!

Thank you so very much for your help!

PS I use Malwarebytes Free which has always served me well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

Update your network adapter drivers.

DELL

What antivirus are you running as some have been known to cause caching issues with speed tests.

Great spot @pippincp.

I'm glad all's working for you now @rivan0710 Smiley Happy

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings