cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital Voice upgrade

I'm due (hooray) to be upgraded to DV Real Soon Now. Apparently that means I can get  a free digital handset.

Visiting https://bt.com/DVequipment it tells me to order it by texting HANDSET to 61998. There doesn't seem to be any online alternative.

Just one problem... I don't have a BT mobile. So how do I place my order without spending hours on hold?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital Voice upgrade

surely you can text from any mobile phone not necessarily a BT mobile - it's just a text

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

> surely you can text from any mobile phone not necessarily a BT mobile - it's just a text

So you might think, but no. My mobile provider doesn't recognise 61998 as a destination.

(edit) A bit of research reveals that some virtual network providers don't support 5-digit SMS shortcodes.

Is there an alternative full-length equivalent to 61998?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Give the FTTP team a ring, they are dealing with DV support. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

> Give the FTTP team a ring, they are dealing with DV support. 0800 587 4787

Thanks, but that's what I'm trying to avoid - last time I called I was on hold for an hour 😞

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Your choice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Did that.

45 minutes on hold, better than last time .

Explained to helpful lady what I wanted, namely  (1) I want to accept the free handset offer in the "you're being upgraded to DV" letter but (2) I can't text to 61998. Unfortunately I don't think she knew anything about the handset offer until I referred her to the letter. She certainly couldn't actually do anything except to make a note on my account and advise waiting until I actually got a date for DV rollout.  Then back on hold while she consulted someone else, then for some reason forwarded me to Sales. They explained that they couldn't do anything without an order in the system and I didn't have one, and forwarded me (heaven knows why) to Faults. Faults explained (as I was well aware) that I didn't have a fault so there was nothing he could do, and offered to pass me on to Sales... 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I am hopefully being upgraded to fibre next week. I thought I had ordered Digital Voice Also .
But checked today and was told conversions were now on hold and they would contact me in due course about Digital Voice
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I don't know why anyone would want DV. You will be tied to the Smart hub and BT. Just go for a VoIP service, you can then go anywhere.

0 Ratings