cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Direct Fibre Connection to Exchange - Who to talk to??

Go to solution

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a new property and have been struggling with the fact that the nearest Cabinet is at capacity so the only service BT can provide is ADSL. The area is semi-rural and the cabinets which serve our area are FTTC enabled but from what i can see there is no FTTP option. 

My new house is a new build and is one of 2 properties in the new site and our builder has just spoken to his contact at BT Openreach who told him that we have the following options:

1. Apparently the service provider can route your connection from inside cabinet 9 back to cabinet 2 (cabinet 2 is about to be expanded and is adjacent to cabinet 9 which we will be connected to)

2. There is a fibre duct in the road outside the house.  If we want super fast fibre with a direct connection to the exchange in Verwood, they can pull a cable in just for us, but we will need to pay for it.

I am more than happy to look into the costs of a dedicated fibre connection but how would i go about doing this? Does this need to be through BT or Openreach?

My wife is American and we depend on the internet to keep in touch with family so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Direct Fibre Connection to Exchange - Who to talk to??

Go to solution

Ive just done a check and the local exchange is able to offer FTTP:
https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STVERWD 

I just need to know who to talk to!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
It would be for the builder to sort out I expect.

Openreach won't just "pull a fibre from a fibre duct" for single users, the network isn't designed in that way
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@tom_0787 wrote:

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a new property and have been struggling with the fact that the nearest Cabinet is at capacity so the only service BT can provide is ADSL. The area is semi-rural and the cabinets which serve our area are FTTC enabled but from what i can see there is no FTTP option. 

My new house is a new build and is one of 2 properties in the new site and our builder has just spoken to his contact at BT Openreach who told him that we have the following options:

1. Apparently the service provider can route your connection from inside cabinet 9 back to cabinet 2 (cabinet 2 is about to be expanded and is adjacent to cabinet 9 which we will be connected to)  No it is Openreach that provide and maintain the network not the service provider

2. There is a fibre duct in the road outside the house.  If we want super fast fibre with a direct connection to the exchange in Verwood, they can pull a cable in just for us, but we will need to pay for it. No

I am more than happy to look into the costs of a dedicated fibre connection but how would i go about doing this? Does this need to be through BT or Openreach? that would cost you thousands 

My wife is American and we depend on the internet to keep in touch with family so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@tom_0787

In your previous thread you stated that FTTC was available though there is currently a waiting list due to capacity.

There is a service called FTTPoD (FTTP on demand) where a property on a FTTC enabled cabinet can pay to have FTTP (GPON) deployed to them. This isn't a service BT Consumer offer and the cost can be in the £thousands with large monthly service fee. Also to note this service isn't enabled on your cabinet.

The other option is a dedicated FTTP (1:1 contention) service called a leased line/ethernet service. This again isn't something BT Consumer offer, however a Buisness Communication Providers can offer this for example BT Business - https://business.bt.com/content/bt/business/en/products/broadband/bt-leased-lines.html

Prices again can be costly in both installation and service fees, however best to talk to that Communication Provider.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings