cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Disconnecting complete fibre system for replastering work

Forgive my ignorance, folks, Im sure Im worrying about nothing here but Im having a wall damp-proofed where my fibre comes in and where I have my BT equipment and router located. I will need to disconnect everything incluing the fibre input, and reconnect once the work has been done. The plasterer knows about the fibre cable and will be taking extra care when hacking off the paster surrounding the cable entry through the wall.

Im assuming that the system will simply restart when reconnected? Is there anything I should be watching out for/doing in terms of sequence when reconnecting?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Disconnecting complete fibre system for replastering work

You really shouldn't be disconnecting a fibre connector unless you have the appropriate cleaning tools to clean it before reconnection and a dust cap to protect it whilst disconnected. On your own head be it. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

It would appear that your plasterer has no health and safety training, although the fibre is only a low power laser it is powerful enough to cause eye damage if treated carelessly. 

My advice is simple Don't Do It!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thanks

So I'll leave it plugged in then and remove the Openreach unit from the wall and seal in a plastic bag to protect it and the fibre connection from dust and dirt.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Sounds like a better plan.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

My advice remains Don't Do It but if you've made your mind up then whatever you do, if the fibre becomes disconnected from the ONT then do not point it at your, or anyone else's, eyes for any reason. It will burn holes in the retina! if you do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

It'll be tricky given that the skirting board has to come off and the fibre cable into the Openreach unit is very short but better that than a H&S risk. thumbnail_IMG_20210426_144825349.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks

Im NOT going to unplug the fibre cable from the Openreach unit now based on what youve said but unfortunately, this damp-proofing work has to be done as the wall is in a bad state