cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Disconnection from router causes loss of internet

Hi, I had issues with my home hub over a year ago now and changed it with a TP-Link WD9980. So far is has been working really well until yesterday when if I disconnect it will not allow me to access the internet on that device. I am unsure if this is down to the line or the router. After a while the connection will resume and work just fine almost at random times. I was getting errors to do with the DNS server which made me think somehow it could be the line also? Unsure what to do about this issue.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Disconnection from router causes loss of internet

Sorry, your post doesn't make sense. What are you disconnecting and how and what is then happening?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Maybe its me but I don't understand your post when you said "if I disconnect it will not allow me to access the internet on that device". 

If you disconnect a device from the router it also means that device is disconnected from the Internet. It is by being connected to the router that the device can access the Internet.

Can you clarify what it happening?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Yeah, sorry it's a little confusing as I don't get why it fixes itself at times.

In simple terms, the first time you connect via wifi or even ethernet on any device in this case a computer or mobile phone, it will let me connect to the router (LAN) but will not allow me to connect to the internet/websites. However, if connected for a prolonged period of time it sometimes will somehow fix itself and connect to the internet. If I restart the router, it breaks every connection to the internet when the router restarts or if I disconnect the device from the network/router it will then not work when I reconnect back to it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Try setting the DNS servers on the 9980 to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

Network > WAN settings > advance (sic) > tick set DNS server manually  and enter as above

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Yeah I did try using the Google DNS servers through that, but didn't have any luck. Still when I first connect it won't allow internet access. My phone has been connected for over an hour and not fixed itself but my other family members have their internet working much quicker at times. It's not a logical wait between connecting to router and then internet access.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I would try a factory reset of the router which should give you a clean sheet to start trouble shooting from.

Once you have done the factory reset you will need to set up the router to connect to BT again but there after see how it performs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Sadly tried that too and didn't work. Literally no clue what it could be. Maybe just the router is dying but unsure really.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Are you able to borrow a router so that you can at least rule that out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 11

Try flushing the DNS cache ...
0 Ratings