Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recka19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Disconnections & Speed issues

Hi,

So about 6 months ago we noticed that our speed was Half (or under) what we were paying for. An engineer came out, spent 6 hours at our home and eventually fixed it.
Then in January we noticed our hub would randomly disconnect from the internet every afternoon, going from solid blue to flashing orange (and back to blue 30 seconds later). It would do this up to 10 times in an hour (extremely frustrating if you stream television/games etc). To this day it has continued, now more frequently then ever, always around 11 am, and 7-8pm - with no signs of stopping. We have had 4/5 engineer visits in the last 1 1/2 months; all of whom claim there is nothing wrong with the line or internet connection. BTs own diagnosis tool has however, diagnosed a couple of outside faults - which occasionally get fixed. My question is WHY is this doing this, WHY can’t any engineer tell me the reason for it, and HOW can I fix it?! On top of all this my half speed or under has returned - despite the engineer ‘fixing’ it yesterday. So not only are we being disconnected 10-15 times per day, we are not even getting the speed we pay for. Just to be clear, the line has been tested, all the wiring has been changed, I had a new hub sent out, and as mentioned multiple engineer visits. We have performed factory resets etc too. Any help would be very much appreciated !
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Disconnections & Speed issues

Welcome to this user forum. @Recka19 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Recka19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Hi Keith,

We don’t use the phone line - however when we do plug into it to test as you have mentioned, there is nothing wrong
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

@Recka19 wrote:
Hi Keith,

We don’t use the phone line - however when we do plug into it to test as you have mentioned, there is nothing wrong

You need to check for noise when you start getting disconnections, as the fault may be intermittent.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

0 Ratings
Recka19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

That makes sense. I will test around 11 am today (when it usually disconnects) and I will get back to you. Also, Our socket is the bottom right one !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Recka19 wrote:
That makes sense. I will test around 11 am today (when it usually disconnects) and I will get back to you. Also, Our socket is the bottom right one !

You need to check at the test socket, as these clip on filters suffer from intermittent connections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Connect thing up like this, leave it a day or so, and see if you still get the disconnections.

Bottom picture just shows how to connect thing up.

nte5ctest socket.jpg

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Recka19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Will do thanks !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Recka19 wrote:
Will do thanks !

There was a recent post from someone with a similar problem.

I do not think that those clip on filters are a good idea, as there is a possibilty of a poor connection between the test socket, and the clip on faceplate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Here is an updated diagram for reference, and in case others want do a check on an NTE 5C. This would apply even if there was no filtered faceplate.

nte 5c testing from test socket.jpgNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings