cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mattwalkery
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Disconnects frequently throughout the day on TD-W9980 Router. Not sure if Router or Line.

Hi, I'm a novice when it comes to networking and was wondering if someone could help me out here? I keep having disconnects throughout the day, and I have no idea what causes it. This has not happened before and is now happening on a frequent basis. I'm not sure if it is likely to be the router, or the line as I do not know what the error codes mean.

So, the info:
The model is a TP-LINK TD-W9980.

We are on BT Infinity 2

all the errors seem related to ppp0, ppp0 user request, ppp0 LCP down, and ppp0 timeout waiting for PADO packets.  

I will add the errors in a log file. This is just a snippet, but it seems to happen at random times throughout the day and night.

errors.png

I realise more info will likely be needed, so please do tell me and I'll make sure to get it as I would really like to get to the bottom of this problem. Thank you for reading.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Disconnects frequently throughout the day on TD-W9980 Router. Not sure if Router or Line.

Can you try using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability. When connected to test socket check your extension socket as they should not have a dial tone - whether in use or not

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

can you post more stats from router showin connection speed noise margin etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mattwalkery
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

Re: Disconnects frequently throughout the day on TD-W9980 Router. Not sure if Router or Line.

Can't do anything about the test socket right this second, would have to ask my parents where that is. As for the extra info, heres that. Apologies if there are delays, it is disconnecting a lot right now.2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Broadband-Top-Tips-to-get-help-on-the-for.... Try quiet line test

The master socket is the first socket in your home where the openreach cable enters and test socket is behind bottom half

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mattwalkery
Beginner
Message 5 of 33

Quiet line is quiet, can't hear anything other than a very faint hum which it says is the case for a cordless phone (we don't have a corded one). As for the test socket, I will try that when I can and I'll update with results, cheers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

@Mattwalkery

I doubt its a router issue,as there are no errors showing.

Its looks like an authentication issue, as you are not seeing any DSL disconnections.

I assume that you entered the correct login details into the router, as shown on this page?

VDSL (BT Infinity) Setup instructions

I use the same router on ADSL, and occasionally see something like this.

15 2017-12-23 10:40:16 PPP Information ppp1 rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0xa9 b5 21 45 00 00 28 44 28 40 00 7f 06 06 ff 56 b5 4f 07 6d 9f 9d 4d

But it does not cause any disconnects, probably just an authentication check.

Are there any other error showing, like DSL loss?

0 Ratings
Mattwalkery
Beginner
Message 7 of 33

I've connected the router via a filter to the test socket and the exact same error happened within a few minutes. I also checked the login info via setup instructions you posted, and they are the exact same, no issues. As for other errors, if I filter the log via errors, the only ones I see are the ones in the original picture I posted, apart from "ppp0 timeout waiting for PADO packets" is also often present. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

Are there any other phone sockets in the house?

If there are, can you make sure that there is no dial tone on them, when you are using the test socket.

Also see Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

As for the router, you could try a factory reset, and then follow the setup procedure again, just in case any part of the configuration has altered, or perhaps load one of your saved configuration files, if you saved any?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

There's more than just a problem at the PPP layer, the sync speed is very low and high SNRM. Are you sure the log isn't showing any DSL events.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 33

@licquorice wrote:

There's more than just a problem at the PPP layer, the sync speed is very low and high SNRM. Are you sure the log isn't showing any DSL events.

Disconnections or a high error rate ssems likely.

0 Ratings