cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deadelvis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 52

Re: Do BT tell Lies ?

Thanks Jyot so i am not an isolated case.Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has been caught out like this
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 22 of 52

There is a vast difference between a quote and an estimate.

quote[kwoht] Show IPA verb, quot·ed, quot·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.
to repeat words from (a book, author, etc.).
to use a brief excerpt from: The composer quotes Beethoven's Fifth in his latest work.
to cite, offer, or bring forward as evidence or support.
to enclose (words) within quotation marks.

es·ti·mate[v. es-tuh-meyt; n. es-tuh-mit, -meyt] Show IPA verb, es·ti·mat·ed, es·ti·mat·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
to form an approximate judgment or opinion regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of; calculate approximately: to estimate the cost of a college education.
to form an opinion of; judge.
verb (used without object)
to make an estimate.
noun
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.
a judgment or opinion, as of the qualities of a person or thing.
a statement of the approximate charge for work to be done, submitted by a person or business firm ready to undertake the work.
es·ti·mate[v. es-tuh-meyt; n. es-tuh-mit, -meyt] Show IPA verb, es·ti·mat·ed, es·ti·mat·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
to form an approximate judgment or opinion regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of; calculate approximately: to estimate the cost of a college education.
to form an opinion of; judge.
verb (used without object)
to make an estimate.
noun
an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.
a judgment or opinion, as of the qualities of a person or thing.
a statement of the approximate charge for work to be done, submitted by a person or business firm ready to undertake the work.
0 Ratings
deadelvis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 52

My learned friend.If memory serves me right the BT site said something like can you get Infinity2 ? type your number in here and a little thingy spins for 30 secs and then proclaims you can get 56mbps download not UP TO 56mbps.So they do tell lies
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 52

That's life.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 52

As I have said so many times if they have said something will happen without weasle words like should, expected etc then you have a contract with them to deliver what they said. The difficult thing is proving what they said.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 52

Problem is, in this instance all that will eventually happen is that BT will issue a deadlock letter allowing you to leave. This won't ultimately solve anything.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 52

Whilst they may do this you do not have to take that route as the have an obligation and if you get a deadlock letter you do not have to accept it.  As I said the problem is proving what they said, it has all sorts of trade mistrepresentation issues, perhaps trading standards / Ofcom would be the next step and ask them to investigate BTs practices and don't let them fob you off.

Vicarious liability refers to a situation where someone is held responsible for the actions or omissions of another person. In a workplace context, an employer can be liable for the acts or omissions of its employees, provided it can be shown that they took place in the course of their employment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 52

You think Ofcom will investigate BT's practises and do what?

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 52

'Do BT tell lies?'

They did with me, they said I'd have 160 Mbps on Infinty 3. When the engineer came he said it was a 330 Mbps install and for the six months I've had it I get on average 280 Mbps.

More lies like this please Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 52

Probably nothing but if people do not complain to them then definitely nothing. I have complained to them in the past not about BT and as you say initial reaction nothing. I then said right I am coming in to discuss it with you please make an appointment, they did and I presented my case and they took action.

0 Ratings