cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Do I need a Master Phone Socket?

I've been using Sky broadband for 2 years and got a good speed. I recently signed up for BT Infinity and go-live was the 18th; I've not had internet since then.

The help desk has been unable to figure out what was wrong and I've had an engineer out who has said that I can't get fibre without a master socket and he didn't think I had one. He didn't however open any of the sockets; just had a look at the outside of them.

I've done a fair bit of reading and pulled apart all the sockets in my rental apartment and believe they're all extensions. There's also no junction box visible anywhere in the building. I've attached pictures; can you confirm these are extensions?

Secondly, do you actually need a master socket to get fibre? If so why? I can live with a bit slower internet... it's better than the nothing I have now!

Cheers,

Warren

phone sockets 3.jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Do I need a Master Phone Socket?

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @toomanywarrens

Is your phone line now with BT Retail? Dial 150 and see what it says.

Was your Sky broadband just normal broadband, or Sky fibre?

If it worked before, then all you need to do is to plug the home hub into the same microfilter that you used for Sky, and it should just work.

The extension wiring is likely to cause a reduction in speed, but it should still connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

My phone line is now with BT as well and when I call 150, I get the BT help desk...

My Sky broadband was normal (not fibre). I've got the microfilter plugged into the same socket.

W

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 11

I moved from Talktalk broadband to BT on the 16th march, and all went live on the 18th april, way after the official go live date (30th march). so just keep contacting BT and be patient, it will be sorted

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Which BT home hub have you got, and is the phone and the home hub plugged into the same microfilter?

How long ago was your phone activated?

Have you looked on MyBT, and does it say that all the tasks have been completed, and your Infinity connection has been activated?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

I have a BT Home Hub 6. Sorry I missed the second part of your post earlier - I've updated now.

The phone and the home hub are plugged into the same socket as when I had Sky; I've tried the Sky and BT microfilters and get the same result (phone works, hub does not).

The go-live date was last tuesday; the phone was activated when the engineer came on yesterday.

W

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@toomanywarrens wrote:

The go-live date was last tuesday; the phone was activated when the engineer came on yesterday.

W

In that case, its going to take a bit longer, as the broadband task cannot be issued until the phone task has been closed.

You will then be in the Openreach queue, for someone to visit the cabinet and link in the fibre cabinet connection.

That could take a week, depending on how busy Openreach are.

Check the progress on MyBT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

The phone task was closed and the engineer came yesterday and went to the cabinet and linked it to fibre. They then came to the flat and tried to hook it up but failed; they said they couldn't link fibre to an extension socket - they needed to connect it to the master socket. They did not however pull apart the sockets. As I'm renting, I'm not sure I can get a master socket installed...

Base on the pictures above, can you confirm these are extensions?

Then the other question I had was if you actually need a master socket to get fibre? If so why? I can live with a bit slower internet... it's better than the nothing I have now!

Thanks!

W

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

You do not need a master socket as such, but it helps to improve speed.

The fact that Openreach could not get it to work, would mean that the commissioning test would have failed, and service would not been shown as active, as the test has to be done, and the results uploaded to the BT server, for this to happen.

I would suspect there is another issue, possibly at the cabinet.

Does it show as completed when you look at the order progress?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

The phone fault is marked as resolved.

The broadband fault is marked as ongoing. I'd post a screenshot, but there's no comments in it that provide any information.

W

0 Ratings