cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Do I need an engineer for new FTTP install? conflicting advice from customer service

I am a bit confused. Currently I am with Talk Talk FTTC  giving me only 37mb at best. Since they don't offer FTTP to my area, I am considering moving to BT for FTTP 900mb package. Having been on the phone to them a couple of times I have been told 2 different things.

1) First customer service advisor said I would need an engineer to come to the property and install cables etc as the FTTP is only new to the area and not installed to my premises. 

2) Second customer service advisor said its not needed as my 'line was recently upgraded' however, I don't see how this is possible as I only have FTTC and no cables have been installed to the property and I am still on the old copper wire line on FTTC. All I would need to do is plug in the new modem/router and it will be ready. 

I rang again and a 3rd customer service advisor was actually unable to tell me either way. 

Can you still get FTTP on the old copper line? I am looking to keep my landline phone when I get FTTP 900mb

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do I need an engineer for new FTTP install? conflicting advice from customer service

The clue is in the name fibre to the premises. You will need an engineer visit to install the fibre cable and ONT (optical modem).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Do I need an engineer for new FTTP install? conflicting advice from customer service

That's what I was thinking, just a bit weird to be getting conflicted answers on the matter from BT. Especially when one is saying nothing will need to be done except plug in the new router and turn it on. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Enter your address and post results  see what is actually available 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

Thanks, says I need a 1 stage install so an engineer is indeed needed.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The 2nd guy probably thought you were getting G.Fast as Ultrafast can be delivered via FTTP and or G.Fast.

Message 7 of 7

It doesn't matter what stage install, you need an engineer for FTTP.

@Starwire  I've yet to see 900Mb supplied via G.Fast.😁