cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToxicSmoggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Do I need an engineer out - connection drops and speed has decreased

Had Bt infinity (52 meg download/8 meg upload) since my internet was activated on the 12th September and there wasn't any issues.

But since the 8th October I've had nothing but problems, internet has been dropping for various length of time sometimes it can be 30 minutes, an hour, a couple of hours or even a few days, it's not been stable.

The lights on the smart hub are will go from a solid blue to solid orange, no other colours, but when it would go down and then back up, I always got around the same speeds about 45 meg download and 8 meg upload (also when the internet went down I always check if the phone line goes down as well but so far it hasn't).

Since BT's upgrade, thing are getting worse, I get note disconnections, for almost a week (the longest it's been up) I was getting a steady 60meg download and 18 meg upload for with an average ping of 19ms and with no disconnections but as soon as I the disconnections started to happen again my speeds decreased to round about 40 meg download and 16 meg upload and my average ping has also gone up to around 40ms.

I ran a quiet test from the home phone on 17070 and couldn't hear any noise

And when customer service run a test from thier end they can't find any fault but was told that in a 48 hour period I was disconnected 7 times
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Do I need an engineer out - connection drops and speed has decreased

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

ToxicSmoggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I've done the quiet line test with option 2 and no noise but will try it without the router plugged in.

I've not checked just the router in the master socket, one thing I've not been asked to try but I will once I get home, I was asked to remove the faceplate (it's an mk3 faceplate with the internet plugged into the top and landline in the bottom) and try the landline to see if it had any noise from the phone, if I recall they was a blue and orange wire connected to the back if the faceplate but I'll have check again.

The was an extention put in about 17 years ago but i dont know if this is still active or not.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you don't use the extention then just remove it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ToxicSmoggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

So have done a quiet line test without the router and and there's no noise l, even did the test when plugged into the master socket, but internet won't connect when the router is plugged in, the light on the hub would turn blue for a few seconds but then turn back to a solid orange, internet was up for a bit from 7pm till just after 11, it must have came back up as it was blue again this morning
0 Ratings
ToxicSmoggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

With the wires I was right there is a blue and orange wire with an addition white wire.

With the extention, it was something that was put in about 17 years ago leading from the last BT socket to another part of the house, how can this be removed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

just detach the wires from the terminals on back of front plate  extension will no longer work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ToxicSmoggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

So, had an engineer visit on Thursday and was told that they random disconnections where down to a faulty card in the cabinet, that got fixed and have had a nice steady 65\66 download 18\19d upload.

However, test the connection this morning and in 24 hours have lost 10 meg download speed.

Product name:
BT Hub 6A
Serial number:
+084316+NQ72390651
Firmware version:
SG4B1000B316
Firmware updated:
13-Oct-2017
Board version:
Gui version:
DSL uptime:
0 Days, 4 Hours 3 Minutes 45 Seconds