cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Do "advisors" get paid by the connections they accept, rather than problems resolved?

I was asked to reboot the router so I asked "Won't that disconnect me from the Internet, ending this session?"

They told me "No, its OK.  Keep this browser window open."

I then lost connection and the session closed.

After reconnecting, and starting a new help chat session...

I was asked to open the Hub Manager, go to Advanced Settings then Broadband, press Disconnect then Connect.

Again, I asked "Won't that disconnect me from the Internet, ending this session?"

For the second time I was told no, that it was ok and that I needed to keep the chat window open.

I got this message again "Connection lost, session closed."

After reconnecting, and starting a new help chat session I was asked if I could unplug the router from the BT master socket.

So I said "Yes I can, but I won't because that will disconnect me from the Internet and end this session.  Then I have to go through all the hassle of starting a new session with another random operative."

I got the same response saying "No, its OK.  Keep this browser window open."

Me: "Sorry, I have heard that line twice before and I am not disconnecting or rebooting anything!"

It seems as if they get paid for the number of help chat sessions they pick up rather than the problems they resolve, since they suggest solutions which end the session before they have actually done any work, thus enabling them to pick up another call/mug as soon as possible!

In fairness, having rebutted his ploy, the last adviser does seem to have tested the line, found a fault outside of my home and re-instated the fault report, but it will take another 3 days to resolve.

I can foresee a similar loop of hopelessness in 3 days time! Smiley Frustrated

Time to look at Virgin, again.  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Do "advisors" get paid by the connections they accept, rather than problems resolved?

You need to delete the Livechat transcript. It is against forum rules. You can paraphrase it if you want to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 11

Re: Do "advisors" get paid by the connections they accept, rather than problems resolved?

No they don't.

I don't know how to put it any better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Perhaps I should have explained that it was paraphrased, not an exact quote.

The point I was making is that three operatives used different means to terminate a help chat session before they had even done anything.  I could have added that I disconnected a fourth myself when I became suspicious of his questions, but that is in another thread.

If it was just cut and pasted then it would have included time stamps, other formatting info and would have spelled names consistently.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

In that case, the scripts that they are working from need serious revision.

I had 3 of them suggest steps which would have ended the session before they had done anything, and despite warning them that would be the inevitable result they tried to assure me otherwise.

Dropping the connection is inevitably going to terminate the live session.  Anything that is likely to do so should only be in their script as a last resort having warned the client of what will happen, not as a first step in diagnosing a fault.  The "advisors" should be aware of the consequences and not be denying them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 11

Access to the hub is not IP address dependant, support would have been waiting for the hub to reboot, note the processes and then re-initiated the brower session via the allocated IP address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Hi @RKM,

Our advisers do not get paid to close chats and start over again. They should be doing their best to get your fault or complaint resolved as soon as possible.

If you need any help with your fault please feel free to tell us what the problem is so we can help troubleshoot it for you. If you want to wait until the 3 days are up don't feel pressured to post before then. We are here if you need us all the same.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Access to the hub wasn' the issue.  The chat session terminates when the hub is rebooted or disconnected and does not re-open when the connection is re-established.  If anyone from support was waiting, and I certainly gave it a fair chance, then they didn't make any attempt to contact after the session terminated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Decided to wait but, around 9:45pm last night, while watching something on the iPlayer's limited "fuzzy-vision" it froze with the buffering circle.  Eventually checked the hub and it was showing a red light.  Tried re-booting, but no change.   I concluded that someone was working on the problem at the exchange and, indeed, this morning it had reconnected OK.  Did a speed test and, while it isn't quite as high as the 75Mbps I have had regularly since joining BT, at 50Mps its usable and a lot better than it has been for the past few days.  Don't think it would be fast enough to get the highest resolution UHD video streams we had during the World Cup while simultaneosly Facetime-ing relatives in South America watching the same matches, though.

I'll leave it a while and see if it gets any better when it settles in, as the multiple re-boots and disconnects, as advised by the support operatives previously referred, to have probably disrupted the line stats.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Well I waited a couple of weeks to allow it to settle.  Link has been up now for 13 days 15hours.

Speed seems to have improved, but not quite to the 75Mbps I previously had, although it is well into BT's acceptable range.

What surprises me though is the upload speed is consistently (over 4 tests at different times of day) in the 26 - 28Mbps range, which is well above the Hub's upload sync speed of 20Mbps!

Screen grab of the latest speed testScreen grab of the latest speed test

How can the upload speed be 30 - 40% faster than the sync speed, indeed faster than the Superfast Fibre 2 service itself supports?

0 Ratings