cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingkong69
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Do the engineer install a new BT socket for infinity?

Hi all, I had recently ordered BT infinity and I just wanted to know about their installation.I know that they will install a new BT infinity socket. At the moment, we have a normal phone line socket at our front door, just outside the house is the long plastic shield, I am just wondering how the BT engineer will install the new socket. E.g. Will they remove the plastic shield and thread a new cable in? Also, will I use that BT infinity socket for my phone line as well? Or will I continue to use my old ADSL socket? Thanks all
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
dazzybabe
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do the engineer install a new BT socket for infinity?

They'll just mess about with the cover of your master socket. Mine came and went in 45 minutes 🙂

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Do you only have the one socket? and are there 2 power sockets nearby?

I have attached a sketch to show how thing are arranged - this is not a BT approved drawing - just how I believe things are wired - hope it gives you a clue as to what goes where.

Michael

wiring diag.jpg

0 Ratings
jimbat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

As an extension to this question - Must the 30 meter extension wire be installed indoors or can it be routed around the outside of the property?

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

It can be external if the engineer feels its better or easier to do this way.

Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

I had an old style phone socket (not a modern NTE5). The Infinity installer replaced the WHOLE socket and installed an NTE5 with Infinity face plate.

If the OP has one socket then, unless he asks for an extension, it will either just get a new faceplate in its current position, or a new NTE5 with faceplate will be installed in the same position using the existing cable.

Both the phone and the Openreach VDSL modem plug into the same faceplate (it has two sockets in it).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jimbat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hello DT3000, Thank you for the update. It is appreciated. .. The supply pole in the street was recently increased in height and the replacement wired line was routed to the original position in the hall. There is no suitable mains socket there, but there is in the back room downstairs, hence my query. All computer links are in this room.
Thanks again, Kind regards
0 Ratings