Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
everon
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

DoS UDP Loopback query

Go to solution

Hi guys,

I have a query about some logs I keep seeing in my Hub 5 event log that have only just started to appear since I upgraded from a hub 4 to the Hub 5.

Specifically (just a couple of samples as i wont post them all):

08:54:09, 17 Jul.DoS(UDP Loopback): IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= src=74.82.47.13 DST=86.185.203.94 LEN=29 TOS=0x18 PREC=0x60 TTL=49 ID=64176 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=57512 DPT=19 LEN=9 MARK=0x8000000
19:14:44, 16 Jul.DoS(UDP Loopback): IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= src=185.94.111.1 DST=86.185.203.94 LEN=28 TOS=0x18 PREC=0x60 TTL=233 ID=54321 PROTO=UDP SPT=46473 DPT=19 LEN=8 MARK=0x8000000

My hub is working fine and im getting all my speeds as I normally would but i was curious as to what these entries mean. They happen roughly 4 times a day randomly. Is this an indication of an attempted hack or ddos attack? If anyone can help and put my mind at rest id be grateful.

Cheers, Jay.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: DoS UDP Loopback query

Go to solution

It probably is an attempted attack.  You may just be getting them now because swapping one Hub for another will have given you a new IP address.

If you connect anything directly to the internet, then expect it to be attacked 24 hours a day.  All Home Hubs have a built-in firewall and simply block all unexpected incoming messages.  This firewall has the added advantage of protecting not just the Hub itself but everything on your home network.

everon
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I have tried turning off the modem and the hub for a bit in an attempt to get a new IP address but it wont release. 

Anything else i can do apart from ignore it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Just ignore it, if you get a new address it probably won't make any difference any way.

Highlighted
MikeZ
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It's just port scanning - your router is doing its job and blocking them, so just ignore. The first IP address belongs to shadowserver.org - see their website for details about their port scanning.

MikeZ
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Just ignore it, if you get a new address it probably won't make any difference any way.

Correct - they are scanning whole ranges. Both of those IP addresses are in my firewall logs.

everon
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the help guys. I will do as you suggest and just ignore it.

Cheers, Jay.

0 Ratings