cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hilly_2018
Message 1 of 8

Does FTTP require 2 engineer visits?

Go to solution

I have an engineer visit booked for 30th May to install FTTP in my home, however reading various posts it appears as though FTTP requires 2 engineer visits; one to install the hardware outside of the home, and secondly another to install the connection inside the home.

Is this correct?

If it is, BT have contacted my previous provider (Sky) and told them that they will be taking over the line and broadband connection, and because of this, Sky have informed me that they will terminate my broadband connection on the agreed date (30th May).

Given that my job revolves around an active internet connection, this has left me very worried that I potentially may be left without broadband until a 2nd engineer visit is arranged. 

Can anyone help put my mind at ease?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does FTTP require 2 engineer visits?

Go to solution

AFAIK, if you are in a new build, it's a single stage install process, if it's overlay FTTP ( where there is an existing copper line services to the property ) then it's a two stage process.
As you have Sky broadband , then presumably you already have copper pair service, so a two stage install.

Unless  you are getting your voice service over FVA ( fibre voice access ) then the copper pair will remain but be moved from Sky's equipment to BT equipment in the exchange , this will provide the BT phone service, your 'Infinity' broadband will be over the fibre , so that will have to be installed , in two stages, on or before the 30th, what date have you been given by BT ?

0 Ratings
Hilly_2018
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Ok...getting even more worried now!

We live in an old build so it'll definitely be over the copper line service. We've only been given one date for the installation and that's the 30th. BT have then contacted Sky and told them that they'll be taking over the service on the 30th, so Sky have confirmed that they will cancel the service then.

I thought the benefit of having BT arrange the cancellation with the previous provider, was that there wouldn't be a drop in service?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
It depends if its Legacy Fibre or Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre.

Legacy Fibre requires a Step 1 Team to put in a Fibre Tupe from the Manifold to a Customer Splice Point on the outside of your house. They then use a Compressor to blow in a 4 fibre from Splitter to the CSP. After that you’ll have a Step 2 Installer come and run a Fibre EZ Bend Cable from the CSP to where you want the ONT. He’ll install the ONT and your Router for you.

If it’s Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre there’s no Step 1 involvement unless the cable is coming from underground. If it does a few days before the installation someone will visit to rod and rope a Fibre Cable through ready for the installation. They do this in case there’s any issues such as a blocked or collapsed duct.

If it’s fed from overhead then it’ll just be one visit on the day and the Engineer will run a Fibre Cable from the overhead CBT DP directly to the ONT.

As mentioned if it’s a new build, which I’m guessing it’s not then the Infrastructure Delivery Team should’ve installed the ONT during Build process. Really this shouldn’t require a visit from a Service Delivery Engineer but sometimes does if there’s a Routing Problem or ONT miss-match.
0 Ratings
Hilly_2018
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Our FTTP network has recently just been built because our village is too far away from our nearest green cabinet, they have installed 2 new FTTP 'connections' in our village. 

Our house also receives our phone line underground, which is then fed into our house by our front door.

All this points to a 2 stage install process to me. Is this common? I'd like to think that BT would know this sort of information e.g. whether everything will be completed on a single day of installation, before confirming a cut off date with my previous provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bluemoon87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I found the replies here a bit misleading.  We had copper but still have the new connectorised 1 stage install.  Best way to check is to go to https://www.btwholesale.com/adslchecker/ enter your phone numer or post code and check what it says in the WBC FTTP row under the FTTP install process column. If it says 1 stage its one visit, 2 stage is 2 visits.

Hilly_2018
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense.

After checking my address it does indeed say "One Stage" install. Let's hope it's true!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
If they’ve recently only built the FTTP Network it’ll be CBT Fibre.

As your line comes in from Underground then they’ll most likely send someone round a few days before the installation date just to rod and rope through the duct to ensure there’s no problems on the day of installation.

You don’t need to be in for that and chances are you won’t be told a Step 1 installation is happening.

I’ve done 3 Step 1 jobs this week for CBT Fibre and not a single one of them were aware I was coming and they didn’t need to know either.
0 Ratings