cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Does the IP address change for the full fibre

I’m currently with Virgin media and they’re known for having static IP addresses that never change and I’ve been experiencing a lot of ddos attacks while being online through out a long period of time while being with them and I just want to confirm if BT full fibre with the smart hub 2 IP address changes on each manual reset of the router or are BTs IP addresses sticky? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does the IP address change for the full fibre

@Murph95 

BT Retail only allocate dynamic IPv4  addresses, which would change if you restarted the BT Home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe 

Ok I was told the residential broadband is Dynamic as well but I just want to know if the full fibre to the property network IP addresses change on each reset as the fibre to the cabinet changes each time on reset 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

FTTC and FTTP are treated just the same dynamic

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Its not the physical connection medium that determines the IP address. The IP address is issued when the PPPoE connection is established by the home hub, not the Optical modem.

So if the PPPoE session is dropped, then on the next session, it would normally pick up a new public IP address.

BT Business users can request a static IP address if required.

Message 6 of 8

@imjolly 

Ok but can anyone confirm if the IP address for the full fibre changes on each reset?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for the reply and it’s just that I’ve seen a few posts of people having issues with having a sticky IP addresses while being on full fibre and not through the cabinet and I just want to make sure if anything happens again that I’m covered by resetting my router and getting assigned a new IP address 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Your IP address will be dynamic, however, a simple reset of your router may or may not result in a different IP address being allocated. The longer you leave between disconnection and connection, the higher the chance of a different address being allocated.