cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Does the fibre connection go to a socket and are BBUs available (ONT placement issue)?

Go to solution

I’m getting FTTP installed soon as it recently came to my area, but Openreach have made it clear that due to ongoing restrictions they can only go to the master socket in the hallway downstairs, where as I need it upstairs where my network equipment and UPS is.

The more obvious solution network wise is to just keep the ONT downstairs and run an ethernet cable upstairs/outside but I have some concerns considering my UPS and the cable thicknesses I’m seeing.

So I’m wondering whether instead of running ethernet, I can run a fibre cable to upstairs and move the ONT entirely. But I can’t find any info on whether the cable runs from the street to the ONT or goes in to a socket (e.g. a second port on the master socket) and whether it uses something standard like Fibre Channel or not.

If I can’t move the ONT and have to use ethernet, the other issue is a BBU since I know it’s no longer provided with ONTs, does BT provide an official solution (at a charge) and additionally will it be possible to get Openreach to supply any cable so I can wire the extension myself (if it’s an ethernet extension I have the tools/connections)?

Thank you

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does the fibre connection go to a socket and are BBUs available (ONT placement issue)?

Go to solution

you cannot move the ONT or connect the fibre cable yourself

you can speak to the installation engineer and he may be able to install ONT where or near where you would like it just need to ask

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Re: Does the fibre connection go to a socket and are BBUs available (ONT placement issue)?

Go to solution

The documentation for end users is poor regarding the install process. I had FTTP installed today (after an agreed abort install last month as everything fell into the too difficult box for the engineer that turned up) I digress...

my service is supplied from a pole - a new (additional) fibre drop wire is installed to the same point as the existing copper drop wire. From there the fibre drop wire is extended down the house to a suitable level where a customer splice point is secured to the wall (grey box about 6 inches square and an inch thick. That serves as a future external testing point for engineers without the need to access your house. 
 A fibre is then spliced and taken into the house from here and terminated on an ONT.  Cat 5/6/7 is then plugged into the ONT run to your Smarthub and plugged into the WAN port. 

In theory - the CSP could be mounted at first floor level (still external) but it’s unlikely as the engineer would need a working platform to balance the fibre splicing kit. So more likely for you would be getting the engineer to install the fibre from the CSP, back up to your first floor, mount the ONT in the first floor room and then you run your Cat5 to where you want the router. Hope that makes sense. 

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Meant to add - the Copper NTE in your house is not touched at all. The various documents suggests it gets changed - it does not get touched at all.
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

No Engineer in his right mind would put a CSP at First Floor Level. Fusion Splicers are expensive and can’t be used up ladders. The only way to access it would be to use Scaffolding every time and there is no chance in Openreach would keep footing the bill for that.

The EZ Bend Cable that connects the CSP to the ONT comes in lengths of up to 50m. Intact I’m pretty sure there’s a 75m one as well now so therefore you would never need to put a CSP anywhere else then ground level.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Ehrm - hence the comment “in theory”

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

You can ‘in theory’ a lot when it comes to most things but common sense goes a long way.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yup - thats why I followed it up with what would be a working way to address getting the service to the first floor and attempting to help the user.

0 Ratings