cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aeropars
Beginner
Message 11 of 32

Re: Downgrade from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1 - Forced to have FTTP installed??

@DavidM

He's said that my only option is to have FTTP installed as its the only way the order can be put through. I don't know why this would be the case though if its possible to do a soft downgrade.

Whether its a case of him not knowing any different or not though I don't know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 32

If there is FTTP available to you I would advise you to take it with open arms. There are far less issues with FTTP and you would be future-proofed, have 4 different speeds available and add value to your house.

0 Ratings
Aeropars
Beginner
Message 13 of 32

Hi there,

I've never had an issue with the installation I have and I certainly don't want ugly cables ran around skiring boards and the like.

0 Ratings
Aeropars
Beginner
Message 14 of 32

Hi guys.

I had an engineer out today to attempt installation of the fibre. He confirmed that the fibre would need to be run around the house to the point where the router needs to reside. I wasn't happy to have this done so I refused the installation.

Having spoken to the Executive Complaints guy he advised that where BT have invested in fibre infrastructure they insist it must be used. As such, any new service where FTTP is available, that will be the delivery method. Despite already having a FTTC service and wanting to downgrade my broadband speed, I'm being told I must still have fibre installed. 

I think this means I'll be leving BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 32

@Aeropars

This does not make sense, as a downgrade is only a software change.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 32

You're mad to not take FTTP.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aeropars
Beginner
Message 17 of 32

@Keith_Beddoe - Well thats exactly what I thought too. But for whatever they are insisting I take fibre if I want my service changed. If they want to lose my custom then they are going the right way about it unfortunatly. 

@Webby - I disagree. I'm less than 200 metres away from the cabinet and I get the full advertised speed of infinity 2. I see no functional reason as to why I should have fibre installed for a 52mb service. Especially as I have had stable service for the pasy 4 years since it was installed on the new build estate where I live. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

Future proofing for one.

Almost zero reliability issues for two.

The option to have your speeds upgraded at the click of a button as and when you need it for three.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aeropars
Beginner
Message 19 of 32

I think the demise of copper is a long way off yet. I'll go on record to say broadband and other network circuits will still utilise copper for at least 10 years.

Its not that common that problems occur through copper degradation. Particularly with modern day duct systems. In 20 years as a network engineer I've never seen a fault caused solely due to degradation. It has generally been due to some form of human error.
To point three, so it seems backwards you have to upgrade to downgrade then, as in my case.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 32

@Aeropars

You are not going to save much by downgrading from Infinity 1, if fact some people have been offered a cheaper price for Infinity 2, but a longer contract period.

0 Ratings