Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPJ85
Message 1 of 5

Download Speed Capping on Multiple Devices

Go to solution

Evening,

I have BT Infinity and when I am downloading my speed caps at 5.5MB/s on both my Mac and PC. This occurs whether I am downloading a game on Steam or other files directly from Safari or Edge and I am wondering why this is. Using a speed check app and BT's own online the download speed should be around the 50MB/s mark and as such twice a BT engineer has come out and confirmed this, whilst saying no issue has been found. I have tried looking online (to no avail) and speaking to BT themselves is a chore to say the least, so is there anything you guys could suggest as to what the issue might be?

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Download Speed Capping on Multiple Devices

Go to solution

Is it possible you are mixing up your MB's and Mb's , they are not the same , one is 8 times larger than the other ( eight bits in a byte) , ISP's tend to quote speeds in mega bits per second (Mb's) , downloads can be quoted in mega bytes per second (MB's) ....your 5.5MB/s  may be around 44Mb/s if you have not realised this.

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
@iniltous, downloading of files are in MB/s but speed tests are run in Mb/s.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

As @iniltous has said, downloads are measured in MegaBYTES per second

Your 50 MegaBIT per second connection equals about 6.25MegaBYTES per second.

You will get slightly less, as download sites never give the full rate, hence your 5.5MegaBYTES per second download speed.

Mb = megabits    MB = megabytes (capital B)

MPJ85
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for the response. It's clear I have made an error as I believed they were one of the same. Guess there isn't any issues then, but 5.5MB/s does seem low for 2018 haha
0 Ratings