cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Download Speed Dropped by Over Half Again

I had the exact same problem occur back in October and had a very speedy reply and engineer visit to fix it so I'm hoping its the same issue again (everything is happening as before)

My download speed has dropped by over half of what it should be, I always get at least 45 Mbps down and it has dropped to under 20 again with no change on my end

saltyrodney_0-1642422156523.png

stats1.pngstats2.png

When this happened before I had an engineer sent out and he found a fault off site almost immediately, apparently I only had 1 of 2 wires coming into my property. It feels like the exact same thing has happened again as my speed has dropped exactly in half. Mods on here and the engineer were very very helpful

It's bloody ridiculous tbh, less than 3 months of my internet being fixed and its gone to **bleep** again.

On another note, is there anywhere Openreach or BT have a roadmap of when infrastructure is being upgraded, all I can find is a page saying my area might not get upgraded until 2026. I have a local company installing their own infrastructure and I can pre order 700Mbps which will be available in the next month or 2. I mean come on now...

I use BT sport and 2 BT mobiles so ideally would want to stay but it seems I won't get upgraded internet for years, kind of laughable really. I'm out of contract and just counting the days until I can swap ISP. 

Any help would be appreciated

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Download Speed Dropped by Over Half Again

does your landline have a dial tone?  your connection time is less than 24hrs was that manual reset or hub dropping connection?  are you have problems with hub dropping connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the speedy reply

We had a power cut around that time, Landline is fine, Quiet line test is fine

I did swap smart hubs a week or so back, we did some decorating and dropped the old one a couple times and it kept cutting out after. Since swapping it's been fine.

I understand these questions need to be asked but I have done everything I can think of on my end (and what is usually suggested here) to diagnose the fault and nothing comes up. I'm having the exact same issues as before, literally to the letter so I'm almost certain its the same problem. The engineer that visited in November said another engineer must have diverted one of the wires coming into my house elsewhere, hence the almost exactly half speeds compared to normal

Thanks for your time

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If only one wire was connected then you would not get a dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I'm just stating what is happening and what I was told before by the engineer. He said there is a red and blue wire into the property, one wasn't actually going into my house and he fixed that. The problems I'm having now are a carbon copy of the problems we had then.

Like I say our landline is ok, and quiet line is ok. Always the first things I check when we have issues

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Last time I had this problem it was sorted within a couple days, seems like I'm not getting any help this time so to be honest forget about it. There is a proper Broadband company installing Gigabit in front of my house right now, I'm out of contract so will be making the switch as soon as I can.

Such a shame that being with BT for over 15 years at the same property and I haven't had a single speed upgrade in that time, in fact my speeds have dropped over the years, and my price has only increased during that time (and will be going up again soon) It's kind of a joke to be honest, I will be paying less money for 10x the speed and I can't wait

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

You are getting help, the questions asked are designed to help diagnose the issue. If you're not happy with the questions/advice here could I suggest calling BT & reporting a fault to them

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@saltyrodney 

I suspect that what's happened with the power cut etc has upset the DLM & with a few days stability you'll start to see an improvement to your downstream noise margin and a corresponding increase in speed.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

That's definitely been the case, since the power cut our speed has slowly climbed from 15 to about 28 as I write this (still well below the 50 I should be, and used to get)

I really am just counting the days until gigabit, I'm very lucky to be getting it rolled out in my area and while I have had basically zero problems in 15 years of BT broadband, the current problems make it a no brainer to swap

2 PC gamers in the household and ultra HD Netflix is just not possible at the moment

I appreciate the help provided but I think it's a waste of all of our time now lol

0 Ratings