Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Download Speed dropping over time

Go to solution

Hi all, 

I signed up for BT Infinity 2 a couple of years ago and the download speed I was getting on the Home Hub 5 was 74Mbps. I now have a smarthub and the download speed is now 69Mbps. I know there's not much in it but is there any reason why the speeds might have slowed down? Could it just be that the home hub 5 is slightly faster? We also turn the router off at night, but not sure that would be enough for DLM to slow the line down, would it?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Download Speed dropping over time

Go to solution

it is more likely to be crosstalk with more people being added to your cabinet

switching router off at night and on again the next morning is not recommended and could have an adverse affect on your conenction

post your router stats  advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

it is more likely to be crosstalk with more people being added to your cabinet

switching router off at night and on again the next morning is not recommended and could have an adverse affect on your conenction

post your router stats  advanced settings then technical log information

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ61931740

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

29-Mar-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 5 Hours 40 Minutes 45 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

21875 / 75439

Noise margin:

6.3 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:

17.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

422 MB Uploaded / 3461 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-GZPM

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-GZPM-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:08:19:05

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

you have 74mb connection speed with normal nnoise margin and just short of attainable speed

any speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

you have 74mb connection speed with normal nnoise margin and just short of attainable speed

any speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not download speeds

I realise that but when I first signed up I ran several speed tests and got a download speed of 74Mbps and now it is around 68 or 69. Just wondered if the drop in speed was something I was doing or is that just the nature of FTTC broadband. I was on Virgin media's cable broadband previous to signing up to BT and suffered no loss of speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

there are many posts similar and normal problem is crosstalk

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

there are many posts similar and normal problem is crosstalk

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

btbroadbandv2.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

openreach Huawei cabs have G.INP which helps with crosstalk but unfortunately like me you are on ECI cab which does not currently have G.INP

Your speed is well within the estimate 

tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

openreach Huawei cabs have G.INP which helps with crosstalk but unfortunately like me you are on ECI cab which does not currently have G.INP

Your speed is well within the estimate 

So it's a crosstalk issue which I can't do anything about then. Well hopefully speeds won't drop any further. Thanks for your help. 🙂

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

As imjolly has pointed out, your connection is approaching attainable linespeed.

But there could be a small bonus ... your path margins are default more or less, and running fastpath.

If you stop turning off the router/modem/hub or whatever you use, and let it run all the time, which it's supposed to do you'll probably find your linespeed creeps up, as g.inp is invoked  automatically, whereby error correction takes place at the physical layer, and your downstream margin will drop to around 3db, and this will allow an increase in linespeed.

Not that you'll notice much ... but seeing as you're after any increase, worth doing.

Keeping the modem running 24/7 has the desired effect of creating good connection history which in turn triggers DLM into invoking g.inp, providing your dslam is running it .... and most are now on the UK fibre network.

(But even if it doesn't, leave it running anyhow, it WILL benefit)