cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Download Speed very slow just on my Laptop

I have ran several speedtests on my Laptop of which I am getting a download speed between 0.3-1.9mbps and an upload speed of 1-2mbps - compare this to my phone (Samsung S10e) I am getting download speed 12mbps and upload speed of 8mbps. I have ran a diagnostic test on the BT website and it tells me I should be getting a download speed between 27-35mbps so something is obviously very wrong here.

I'm not the most technical when it comes to things like this so a step by step approach to fix this would be much appreciated

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Download Speed very slow just on my Laptop

post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information   if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk       run btspeedtester and then diagnostic test and post results    https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

must be done with ethernet conenction

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

I tried to explain that the problem is not with BT and it seems to be with my laptop - every other device on the network runs with acceptable download speeds.

Here are the diagnostic results ran from my laptop:

Download Speed 1.6mbps

Max Speed available 35.71mbps

For your connection the acceptable range of speeds is 27.5-35.71mbps

IP Profile for your line is: 35.71mbps

Upload speed: 2.6mbps

Max achievable speed: 10Mbps

Upstream rate IP profile on your line: 10mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Are you connecting the laptop by wireless or with an Ethernet cable?

If by wireless can you try a test by Ethernet with the wireless on the laptop turned off. 

Have you checked that your laptop has the most up to date drivers for the Network cards. Make sure you check via the card and laptop manufacturer's web site rather than just using the Windows drivers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

I'm connecting by wireless - I'm unable to check with ethernet cable as my laptop doesn't support an ethernet connection. (Lenovo Yoga 2).

How do I check the drivers for the network cards to make sure they are up to date? Sorry I'm pretty useless when it comes to stuff like this

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

I should add that I am running this test in the same room as the router and when I run the speedtest on my phone (also connected to the same network) the speed is almost 3x faster

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

This link takes you to the Lenovo website and will scan your laptop for you and recommend the upto date drivers..

Make sure it is the correct device before starting the scan. If it is not the correct one just search the website.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-2-pro-lenovo/downl...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

Thats bizarre... just ran the test again on my laptop and it shot back up to 11mbps.. Can you explain these inconsistencies?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

typical wireless problem - good one minute then not and then ok again hence why ethernet is required for testing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Wireless interference from other devices in your house of other routers/devices nearby can cause problems.

0 Ratings