cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozsat
Expert
Message 1 of 21

Download speed has been reduced

Here's the problem.  I use to get download speeds of around 50Mbs - which I though was good.

For the past few days I've been getting between 22-34Mpbs - but usually around 30-32Mpbs.  This is using the speedtest in the hub manager - not the Ookla speed test which is currently only showning about 24Mpbs at best. Upload is contant at 10Mpbs.

I've called for support and I'm told the problem is my WiFi.  They will not budge from this even though the BT speed test says it is between the Exchange and the Router - nothing to do with my own network.

In the hub manager it says the Downstread is now set as 40Mpbs - I'm sure it used to say 56Mpbs. I asked about this several times and they will not comment on it.

They say they can send out a engineer but will charge if they are happy the problem is not there's.  I'm sure they will find in there favour as BT have given me nothing but admin trouble since I joined.

My account says:

Your normal available download speed will be between 33-51 Mbps
Your normal available upload speed will be between 8-13 Mbps

Anyone any ideas why BT have decrease my download speeds and are not helping?
---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Download speed has been reduced

can you post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

all speeds quote by Bt and checker are connection speeds not download speed  you need to use ethernet for speedtest not wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 3 of 21

Do you mean these two bits?

The BT speed test says it is between the Exchange and the Hub - nothing to do with the Internal network. That comes back around 32-34Mpbs.

When we started we were email this:

We estimate your download speed will be between 39Mbps and 53Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 9Mbps and 14Mbps.  They have now changed that into to: Your normal available download speed will be between 33-51 Mbps.   Was not told that was happening!!

Am I right that the HH6 is set to be a maximum of 40Mbps anyway?  The router today says:

bt1.pngbt2.png

bt3.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

you are on superfast fibre 2 but unless it was a free upgrade you cannot get superfast fibre 1 max speeds so upgrade was pointless

connection time is only 1hr+ was that manual reset or router dropping connection?  have you been having problems with router dropping connection?  often?

any noise on quiet line test?   are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection and stability

it looks like you are in a banded profile due to line instability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 5 of 21

Originally Fible 1 only went up to 36Mpbs(ish) - Fibre 2 would offer up to nearly 80Mpbs(?) but we were told it would not go above 50-55Mpbs for use. They gave us Fibre 2 at no extra cost based on that being a known issue.  The account still says 'Fibre 2'.

While talking to TS today the HH6 was reset to see if that fixed the download issues - it did not.

Phoner line is silent. The socket has the broadband connection direcrt so no external filter.

I think my issue is they have downgraded the modem speed to 40Mpbs from 56Mbps - without notice.  So the original speed can now never be reached in this config.

@imjollywrote:

you are on superfast fibre 2 but unless it was a free upgrade you cannot get superfast fibre 1 max speeds so upgrade was pointless

connection time is only 1hr+ was that manual reset or router dropping connection?  have you been having problems with router dropping connection?  often?

any noise on quiet line test?   are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection and stability

it looks like you are in a banded profile due to line instability

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Has the hub been dropping connection with lights changing colour?  Your speed reduction looks like you are in a banded profile instigated by DLM due to line instability - this is automatic

whether you have a filter faceplate or not connecting to test socket eliminates your internal wiring or the faceplate from causing your line problems

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 7 of 21

The connection has always been stable - no drop-outs - no short periods of problems.

TS say they have done tests to the router and confirm the network speed to the hub is 34Mpbs and that is within range. They also say that no issues are being detected. I have triggered a couple of tests and get 32-34Mbps.

They added that the gauranteed speed for my connection is 30Mpbs and so even that is fine - even though the original email from them said "The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 35Mb. "

My point is the hub settings has been changed remotely to have a max speed of 40Mbps - down from 56Mbps.

The speed I'm getting is less than the original gauanteed speed. As if they knew the could not honour the gaurantee and so have revised it without my knowledge.

They may have good reason for doing this - but it is a change to the service level originally quoted and there has been no notification that they are reducing my level of service.

@imjollywrote:

Has the hub been dropping connection with lights changing colour?  Your speed reduction looks like you are in a banded profile instigated by DLM due to line instability - this is automatic

whether you have a filter faceplate or not connecting to test socket eliminates your internal wiring or the faceplate from causing your line problems

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

The connection time is very low was that manual reset?

do you check the logs and connection time on regular basis as the drop in speed could easily be due to unstable connection. Your speed will not change unless your hub drops connection or is manually reset

can you post the full page of stats from technical log information 

your current connection speed is within the range shown on dslchecker

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 9 of 21

The connection time is low because while talking to TS the unit was mains rebooted to see if it resolved the issues yesterday.  It was set to 40Mpbs before and after the reboot yesterday.

Every month or so I have some large downloads to do and while doing them yesterday they were taken nearly twice as long as usual. That is why I rechecked everything yesterday.

My dispute is not the my speed is not within range of today's checks  -  but the range speeds have been reduced to those I contracted too - and without notice.

As in they have reduced the promised range to match what they are now providing. Because the ranges they originally emailed me are now not being met.

I don't often check the speeds with anything more than the Ookla speedtest. If that is anywhere near 50Mpbs then I do no more. This is the first time I had speed issues and only once have I ever had a connection issue which turned out to a an issue in the whole area.

Last month the modem was set to 56Mpbs and I was still getting 50Mpbs downloads - as I had for over two years.

This weekend I noticed the modem has been set to 40Mpbs and I'm seeing a maximum download of 34Mpbs.

bt4.png

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 10 of 21

Hi @ozsat ,

The speed reduction COULD be due to crosstalk.  See here for more information :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

0 Ratings