cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Download speed has been reduced

@ozsat  so what you have posted as the only check was using ookla to check download speed you don't know if your hub was dropping connection on a regular basis as that would result in DLM taking action and the probable banded profile

as @pompey1898 has suggested if you were early fibre user then you could get a problem with crosstalk as more people are added to cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 12 of 21

Had a really helpful Openreach visit today who confirmed that the speed we are currently getting is the maximum possible here. A faulty socket was found but had no impact.

However, he also had access to the speed logs for the passed couple of months - and they showed that something was changed on or about 2nd October which had quite an impact on the download speed. Nothing to indicate what it was but the graph shows a definate drop.  It actually seems as if there have been two drops in the past few months.

There was no varying in speeds - all was clean - but a sudden drop in download speed is seen. There is no inidcation that the hub was suffering any fluctuation at all.

The only conclusion he had is that either some faulty equipment was installed pre-cabinet on that day and has caused a sudden reduction in speed - or BT have downgraded the speed available by choice.

But - there is evidence that sudden downgrade has taken place at least once and at the doing on BT/Openreach.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 21

Are you sure it was an Openreach engineer and not a Qube one?

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 14 of 21

I think I should raise a complaint as the Openreach guy says that there is either faulty kit installed before the cabinet which has reduced the speed or BT have reduced the speed.

He said the line is good - and can see a downgrade in speed took place.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

BT cannot control your actual connection speed apart from the package limits.  The 'engineer' was just telling you what you wanted to hear. if it was faulty kit before cab then that is the fibre and would affect everyone.  sorry don't think much of engineer's advice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 16 of 21

Well the engineer also had a well prepared graph on his meter showing my download rate for the last six weeks - showed it was constant expect for a reduction on 1st October which was never restored.

He was here for nearly two hours and did speed tests at various points looking for a fault between the cabinet and the hub but was happy that the speed I am getting is now the best I can get.

It could be it does affect everyone on the cabinet - how many average users do speed checks?

We are actually one of the furthest users from the cabinet which is why we could only get 56Mpbs at best.  Now we only get 36Mpbs at best.

Our speed was once good enough to have BT UHD enabled. That still works.

@imjollywrote:

BT cannot control your actual connection speed apart from the package limits.  The 'engineer' was just telling you what you wanted to hear. if it was faulty kit before cab then that is the fibre and would affect everyone.  sorry don't think much of engineer's advice

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 17 of 21

As he was in an Openreach van and wore an Openreach hi-vis -  I thought he might be Openreach.

@pippincpwrote:

Are you sure it was an Openreach engineer and not a Qube one?

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

@ozsatwrote:

I think I should raise a complaint as the Openreach guy says that there is either faulty kit installed before the cabinet which has reduced the speed or BT have reduced the speed.

@ozsat 

Did the engineer say that he could see your broadband profile was changed or how did he know a downgrade had taken place?

Are the speeds you are now getting below the point of sale speed you were sold? 

If the speeds are not below your point of sale speed you won't get too far with your complaint I'm afraid. 

SP

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 19 of 21

They are below the original contracted speeds - but when we recontracted they sneaked it a downgrade to the Gauranteed speed.

There was no sign of a cap on the speeds or even anything actually changing. The only thing he could see was a sudden drop in speed on 1st Oct.

He did say that if there was signs of fluctuatuation on the line then it may get automatically dropped - but there was no sign of any variation at all in the 6-week log he had - except for the single drop on 1st Oct.  I think there was another before then.

I used to get 56Mpbs - the drop on 1 Oct was from 47Mpbs to about 40Mpbs.

@SpiderPigwrote:

@ozsatwrote:

@ozsat 

Did the engineer say that he could see your broadband profile was changed or how did he know a downgrade had taken place?

Are the speeds you are now getting below the point of sale speed you were sold? 

If the speeds are not below your point of sale speed you won't get too far with your complaint I'm afraid. 

SP

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

@ozsatwrote:

They are below the original contracted speeds - but when we recontracted they sneaked it a downgrade to the Gauranteed speed.

I don't want to come across as a **bleep**, but I think you might be wasting your time making a complaint.

When you took our your new contract BT would have been required to read you mandatory statements which would have included your point of sale speed. You would have had to agree to this for the order to be progressed. BT would have also provided you with this in writing on your order confirmation. You would have had 14 days to change your mind and cancel the order if you didn't do this then it would be taken that you were happy with the contract and point of sale speed.

If the speeds are currently above the current point of sale speed then BT is not in breach of contract so you wouldn't really have anything to complain about, apart from possible poor customer service.

Sorry

SP

0 Ratings