cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

Download speed has reduced

I have had exactly the same experience and I can confirm that complaining is a waste of time.

When I initially started with BT on their 'broadband and phone' package, I was getting 65Mbps for a year. No errors.

The day I contracted to 'Superfast Fibre 2' this speed dropped to 52Mbps. No errors for three years.

It reduced about the same time as your reduction to 42Mbps, which is all I can now get.

On the BT website, what used to be three packages, then two [Superfast 1 & 2 - Broadband & phone no longer existed], I now discover has dropped to one - The Halo equivalent of Superfast 1.

They waited until I had taken out a new 18 month contract before dropping my speed and because 'my speed is within limits given' are refusing to do anything about it. I contracted for Superfast Fibre 2, which now they say I can't get on this line but are continuing to charge me for it.

When is breach of contract not breach of contract ?

It's apparently OK for BT to tie you in to a contract for a package that they then remove without any notification or attempt at explanation OR a reduction of my monthly payments to the Superfast One charges, which is now the only package BT say I can get. 

So, they could supply Superfast Fibre 2 up until the point you can't withdraw, then remove the package and drop the line speed, but continue to charge you for the package they now do not supply.

If they can't supply Superfast Fibre 2, as their website now states, why are they still charging me for it ?

They dropped the speed hoping I wouldn't notice, but I did. They've changed the package they now supply, not the one I contracted for. Very questionable business practice and I'm now tied in to this crippled speed at a higher price than I would have to pay for the Superfast [now Halo] 1 package which is now the only option I have open to me.

BT are refusing to downgrade my contract to match the speeds I now get.

It's a bit like going into a shop, buying something, then when you get home it's not all there. In those circumstances, you'd take the faulty product back for a replacement. If you're BT, then you don't bother to replace it as the box is still the right size and that's all that matters, not the content. 

I expected better from the only infrastructure provider in the country, not sharp tactics to get away with supplying less for more. It's a complete con and very questionable from a legal standpoint.

I know full well what would have happened if I'd started paying 20% less for my bill each month.

It's not a cap. It's just a reduction in the supplied bandwidth to save them going through the expensive job of upgrading the cabinet to cope with demand. That's what they should have done to continue meeting the requirements of their contract, but it's just cheaper and easier to rob you, say nothing and hope you don't notice.

As you may gather, I'm not particularly happy with this  disgusting behaviour and their very good chance of me going Fibre To The Premises as soon as it was available is now certainly NOT going to be with BT.

10/10 for customer service.

43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 44

Re: BT Infinity speed dropped ?

You experience is exactly the same as mine, so are the speed drops.

Bt are using the 'expected line speeds' clause to limit cabinet bandwidth as it's cheaper than upgrading the cabinet to cope with demand, which is what they should do,

A big con. I expect you've been charged full price all the time the line speeds have been dropping, much the same as I have.

This appears, sadly, to be a common practice.

It happened to me the last time [52Mbps down to 42Mbps] as soon as my last 18 month contract was out of the withdrawal period.

You might expect it from some dodgy company, but I certainly never expected this level of deceit from BT. The least they could have done is notify people of the caps at the cabinet and reduced their bills to reflect the downgraded service, instead they just do it and hope you don't notice. VERY bad business practice indeed and legally questionable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 44

Re: Download speed has reduced

Hi @rta2000,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. I have moved your post onto its own thread as both threads you posted on are pretty old and may not get traffic.

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the speeds you are getting with your broadband package.

There is a number of reasons why a customer might opt or benefit for taking out a Superfast Fibre 2 package rather than a Super Fast Fibre package. I have included a number of these reasons below.

• The SFF 2 deal on offer at the time is actually cheaper than the SFF package on offer at the time.
  • The SFF 2 deal may include a Rewards Card which was not offered on SFF.
  • The SFF 2 deal may include a Free Gift which was not offered on SFF.
  • The line can support upload speeds above 10mb so by taking SFF 2 the customer is able to get a better connection with higher upload speeds.

As you will see above there is a number of reasons why it may benefit a customer to take out an SFF 2 package rather than an SFF package especially if they are going to benefit of one or more of the above.  

You have mentioned that BT is now refusing to downgrade your package can you let me know the reason which was given to you? 

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

BT retail do not provide the infrastructure which is supplied by openreach for all ISP apart from virgin

can you post hub stats  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

can you enter your phone number and post results so we can see your estimate connection speed range   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

is there any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 44

@rta2000 wrote:

You experience is exactly the same as mine, so are the speed drops.

Bt are using the 'expected line speeds' clause to limit cabinet bandwidth as it's cheaper than upgrading the cabinet to cope with demand, which is what they should do,

A big con. I expect you've been charged full price all the time the line speeds have been dropping, much the same as I have.

This appears, sadly, to be a common practice.

It happened to me the last time [52Mbps down to 42Mbps] as soon as my last 18 month contract was out of the withdrawal period.

You might expect it from some dodgy company, but I certainly never expected this level of deceit from BT. The least they could have done is notify people of the caps at the cabinet and reduced their bills to reflect the downgraded service, instead they just do it and hope you don't notice. VERY bad business practice indeed and legally questionable.

Nobody is limiting bandwidth at the cabinet, the reduction in speed will be due to crosstalk as more customers take up service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 44

I was given no reason, just a refusal.

After complaining, my line speed has now dropped to 20Mbps ... go figure.

There is now no SFF2 package available to me on this line. Where there were two when I contracted - SFF & SFF2 - there is now only one - SFF.

Speed dropped and service was removed after my 'cooling off' period, tying me in to a contract for a service that BT themselves are now saying they will not provide.

In 2015, on the basic Broadband & Phone package available at the time, I was connecting at 62Mbps & was regularly getting 65Mbps. THE DAY I contracted for SFF2, on the FIRST reboot of my router, this speed dropped instantly to 52Mbps. At about the same time as the other poster mentioned [late 2019], this speed dropped again to 42Mbps.

This reflects exactly the situation of the other poster, exactly as he describes.

I have worked in IT for 25 years and there is only one reason for something to drop in equal 10Mbps chunks and that isn't contention, router settings, noise on line or any other reason. These are hardware changes, either as DLM management settings or bandwidth settings at the cabinet.

Line fluctuation or a gradual tail off in speed as a result of more people fighting for cabinet bandwidth is easy to understand, but this is NOT my experience. My 62Mbps was constant for a year, no fluctuation. My reduced 52Mbps speed was constant for three years, no fluctuation. My 42Mbps speed has been constant again [until I complained] and is now at 22Mbps.

I have had Openreach engineers out to my property twice and both have confirmed no fault or excessive line noise. I have had my socket upgraded internally and components changed at the cabinet. Everything from my hardware to the cabinet has been shown to be squeaky clean. Twice.

The first Openreach engineer said straight away 'You've been capped' but BT Retail would not allow him to speak to BT Wholesale to check the equipment at the exchange. The second engineer said 'You've been capped' and went off to speak to his boss. When he came back, the tune had changed. All of a sudden everything was 'optimal' and my line was 'as fast as it is possible for it to be'. Historical evidence proves otherwise.

Had BT communicated with me, said that they have had to restrict cabinet capacity as a result of more customers, and done the decent thing and reduced my monthly payment to reflect the lower level of service provision, then I would not have had a particular problem with this, within reason. Sadly, they did not, and just notched back delivered bandwidth in the hope that I didn't notice. A lot of people would not have noticed, but as bandwidth for me was a key reason for me taking out the SFF2 contract in the first place, I did.

Several plugins I use are over 30Gb each. When they update, finding that it was now taking me 30% longer to do this, preventing me using them until the process had completed, holding up any further work, is a big deal to me.

Consequently, I spotted the notched drops in speed almost immediately.

You tell me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 44

BT Speed Test.jpgSpeedguide UK.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 44

'Crosstalk' does not happen in equal 10Mbps drops.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 44

As an example [and this is just one example] of the reasons that prompted me to go for the then available but now not available SFF2 - it wasn't money or free gifts, it was guaranteed bandwidth I was after and this is just one example of why it's key to me and why I instantly noticed the change.

At 65 Mbps, this little lot took around an hour and a quarter.

At 42 Mbps this took around an hour and three quarters.

At my current 20Mbps, this is now taking nearly three and three quarter hours. That's nearly half a day wasted where I can't use them. They update at least once a month, so at least once a month I'm losing half a day resulting directly from this speed drop. As regards plugins, this is a drop in the ocean, but most of the others are a lot smaller.

Perhaps I should invoice BT for half a day of my time in lost productivity.

I'm always going to choose whatever package guarantees me the highest bandwidth. What it costs isn't important to me, but the bandwidth it delivers IS.Plugins.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 44

@rta2000,

Sorry that you remain unhappy.

I think we are going to need to take a look at your account to see what's going on here. I have sent you a private message with details of how you can contact the MOD team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings