cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 21 of 44

Re: Download speed has reduced

Thought i would chime in and confirm a similar experience. My speed was 50-52Mbit for at least 2 years from signing up. It's recently dropped to 40Mbit. I say recently, i'm not sure when.

When i signed up, they said to expect between 44Mbit and 55Mbit, with a minimum speed of 40Mbit. So, no surprise the speed has dropped to the lowest they can get away with. 

I do feel disillusioned, and will probably change supplier at next oppertunity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 44

On the bright side, I don't feel singled out anymore, but like you I find what is obviously a policy decision completely unethical and an abuse of trust. This appears to be happening a lot to a lot of people.

Whoever the business brain at BT is that decided this was a good idea is not going to like it when contracts come up for renewal. If I renew at the only package now available to me [rather than the one I can't get that they continue to charge me for] then my speed could drop to 25Mbps according to their small print.

I now do not trust them not to drop my speed even further to the lowest that they can possibly get away with.

You might expect this sort of behaviour from 'Bloggs Cheap Broadband' but this is BT, it isn't cheap, and their treatment of customers in this way is both unethical and disgusting. It's also a breach of their contract terms to 'provide the best speed your line can handle' as they obviously are not doing that any more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 44

I feel the same. It’s a short sighted way of doing business. They may feel they’re keeping to their end of the bargain, but it’s deceiving and not morally right.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 44

Hi @mjrw85 & @rta2000 ,

If it is crosstalk ( see http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis  ) causing these reductions then there is nothing that can be done until you are upgraded to FTTP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 44

'Crosstalk' doesn't drop speed in equal 10Mbps drops.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 44

@mjrw85 

if you are having connection problems then start your own thread and get help from forum or if needed the forum mods. maybe your connection problems looks the same , many do, but are actually different

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 44

Broadband Availability.jpgAs this shows, my 'Clean' rate is now a max of 53.6 where I was getting around 75.

If it was Crosstalk, the 'Clean' figure should still be the same and just my 'Impacted' figure should have dropped, but it isn't. That means Cabinet capacity [or bandwidth per user] has been limited directly, rather than upgrading the cabinet to cope with extra demand.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 44

Sadly that's not the answer in this case.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 29 of 44

I have had the same issue.

I was consistently getting around 50mb and then over the last few months this has dropped to around 40-41mb. I got no explanation why when I asked as there must reason. I have done the noise test and that is fine. As I am still just over my speed guarantee they don't seem interested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 30 of 44

Just to also add that after checking now, my stay fast guarantee has dropped to 24mb as well and this always use to be 35mb.  Are BT constantly lowering your speed and expectations,  I would like to think speeds should be increasing.

0 Ratings