cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Download speed low

I am having a problems with my broadband being very slow. My router was having to be restarted everyday as it wasn't working properly, I got onto BT as my account was due for upgrade and they renewed my contract and sent me a new router out which is a smart hub 2. According to my account details my estimated download speed is between 20-36mbps and my Stay Fast Guarantee speed is: 17Mbps.

The router has been plugged in and connected for three days now and my Downstream sync speed seems to be stuck at 5.199 Mbps and my Upstream sync speed is 4.988mbps so I do seem to be having a slow connection speed.

I have attached a screenshot from my router status page and the result I got from doing a broadband speed test.

It is a long time since I have done a speedtest but I used to get around 24-25mbps when my original Homehub 5 was working properly.

Does my account need resetting or is there something I can do myself to get the speed back to what it used to be please?

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 17.43.47_copy.jpgScreenshot 2020-07-29 at 17.42.35_copy.jpg 

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Download speed low

Can you post the router page that actually gives us useable information? Advanced settings/technical log/information.

Check for noise on the line 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Thanks for the reply, I have attached a copy of the page you have asked for and I've rang the quiet line test number from a corded phone, does that give you a reading on noise or is it just that you have to listen for it? I pressed option 2 and apart from her saying "quiet line test" I couldn't hear anything. If you need any more information please let me know.

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 18.35.07_copy.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Enter your phone number and post results remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Are you using the master socket?  Have you tried the test socket with a filter to see if that improves speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

After your daily restarts its going to take longer that 3 days for DLM to relent.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

I have attached the page you have asked for, I took the liberty of plugging the router into the test plug on the socket a couple of days ago as I remembered that I had been told that in the past. So all the readings are from the test socket.

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 19.27.25_copy.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Your connection time is only 3 days have you or were you having connection problems with hub dropping connection or were you resetting trying to improve speed or maybe both?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

The problem had been that my router was stopping working and this got to a daily occurrence so when I renewed my contract they sent out a new router. This new router doesn't disconnect and works as it should, but the speeds were low, which is why I plugged it into the test socket to see if there was anything wrong with my internal wiring but alas the speeds have remained low.

Quite a few years ago I contacted this forum when I had a similar situation and something had to be reset manually at BT's end by one of the moderators which is why I wanted to do all the checks before I got in touch.

How long do you think I should wait for the system to reset itself? If I wait for however long and it still doesn't improve I may have to make a claim to them about the guaranteed speed I'm supposed to be getting.

Thanks for the help so far.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

The minimum will be 10 days. Why would you be compensated for a self inflicted slow speed. Instead of resetting the hub every day you should have called in for a replacement.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

I hardly think a piece of equipment going faulty and me reporting it and waiting for the replacement can be classed as self inflicted!

0 Ratings