cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Download/upload speeds have dropped - Please help!

I'm hoping somewhere here can help before I totally give up and cancel my broadband. I've been on BT Infinity for years and have been enjoying 50Mb down and 10Mb up speeds.

Around a few months ago, I started getting frequent drop outs so I contacted BT and they ran some diagnostics and found a fault on the line which they repaired. All was good for a couple of months and then a few weeks ago I started getting the same drop outs. This time my speed also dropped to 30Mb down and less than 1Mb up. Again I rang BT and they did some diagnostics. First they couldn't find an issue so took me through their standard trioubleshooting (reset Hub, etc) and fobbed me off. I called up agin a few days later and this time they found a fault on my line which was supposedly repaied on 10/05/2018. Checked my Hub and the speeds are still stuck at 30Mb down and less than 1Mb up.

I'm not sure who to speak to at BT now as I feel I'm just going to go around in circles. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I only have the master socket which I have the Hub connected to via a filter. I don't have/use any landline phones but do have an alarm dialler connected. I have copied the stats from my Hub below (some irrelevant info removed):

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:

SG4B10002244

Firmware updated:

23-Nov-2016

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

1 Days, 0 Hours 29 Minutes 58 Seconds

Data rate:

799 bps / 30.00 kbps

Maximum data rate:

799 / 64331

Noise margin:

23.2 / 18.3

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

19 MB Uploaded / 51 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Band steering:

Off

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Download/upload speeds have dropped - Please help!

Looks like DLM has taken action due to the drop outs and increased your noise margin in attempts to stabalise your line.

Provided your connection now stays stable following the repair your speeds should slowly rise again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how long this could take?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Well my line has synced to 55Mb down and 10Mb up which great... but I'm getting constant disconnects. Anything from 20 mins to 2 hours before it disconnects and it has been constantly up and down over the last 2 days. It's very frustrating and BT can't seem to solve it.

Any Mods here able to help me please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

are you using the tets socket with a filter to see if that helps?

you need to invest about £5 in a cheap corded phone as one of most important first tests is to check if you have a dial tone and if so is line noisy?  this investment could easily save you the engineer callout fee of £129.99 should the problem be something in your home that is causing low speed/drops in connection

your firmware is quite old do you leave you hub connected 24/7 or do you turn off at night?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Hi @99P,

How are thing with your connection? Have you had a chance to try those steps as suggested by @imjolly?

If you're still experiencing issues with your connection, post back and we'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

same here speeds dropped I'm on master socket tplink and on 52meg was maxing it now was getting 50 now dropped to 34.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@99P  Could it be the alarm that is causing the problem as not filtered?  So when it calls 'home' it causes a disconnection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings