cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 19

Re: Drastic drop in speed - BT Infinity 2

Unfortunately, all the line stats are held by the Openreach modem and this is usually locked so are unavailable to you.

To get the line stats, you either need to unlock the modem which may not be easy, or upgrade to a Homehub 5.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Dax1
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Every time I've tried the additional diagnostics on the BT speedchecker, I get the following error message

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 12.02.54.png

0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 13 of 19

Can anyone suggest how best to proceed when talking to BT if/when they ever get in touch? Is it likely and equipment problem or a line problem and would an engineer visit be helpful, do you think?

I don't want to recontract or to purchase a HH5 simply to diagnose this problem.

Thank you all so much for your help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 19

Try this site to get your IP Profile http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 15 of 19

Will do - I'm at work now, but will run it and post the results later

Thanks once again for all the help

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 19

How does your phone line come into the property ?

If it is from overhead, the usual installation is, the line comes from the pole to your property. Just after it enters the property it is connected to a junction box. From this junction box there should be one other cable that runs to the back of your master socket. There should be no other cable connected to this junction box. Any extentions you may or may not have, including sky boxes, alarms, etc... should be connected to the rear of the front faceplate on your master socket. All of these connections normally consist of only the blue/white and white/blue cable.

Does your wiring follow this set up ?

How long have you had Infinity ?

Was it an Openreach engineer that installed it ?

Do you have any extentions and/or sky box or alarm ?

Do you have a plasma tv ? (well known for creating interference on a broadband line).....

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

It's a flat in a small shared block in Central London so I'll have a look outside when I get home. I have no access to any wiring or junction boxes outside of my own flat. 

I have no additional extensions - no Sky, no alarm, no BT Vision, just one master socket with Openreact at the top and phone line at the bottom.  No new equipment in the house either - no new TV ect.  The TV is sited some distance from the openreach socket, modem and home hub. 

I've had Infinity for several years - I had a first-gen home hub and got the HH3 when I recontracted a few years ago and it's so long ago, I don't know who installed it, sorry. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 19

The latest infinity socket looks like this......Is this the same as yours ?

mk2vdslfitted.jpg

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 19 of 19

Looks the same without the MK2

Incidentally, I cannot run the BrasChecker even though it's several hours since I ran a BT speedchecker

0 Ratings