cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dax1
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Drastic drop in speed - BT Infinity 2

For 10 day now, I have experienced a drastic drop in speed on all devices - two Macbook Pro laptops and two android phones.

I have run speed tests and availability tests whilst connected to the Home Hub 3 by ethernet, but have not rebooted any equipment as other threads on these boards indicate that this is likely to make things worse. Page load/refresh takes ages or hangs and streaming video, even short low-res youtubes either won't load or are choppy.  

Speed tests have varied between 18Mbps and 38 Mbps download speed and 2.5 to 8.5 Mbps Upload speed.

Test results as follows - can anyone shed any light on this?  I emailed BT 36 hours ago and have recieved no response and past experience tells me I will get a scripted call from someone with no technical knowledge anyway

Any help is gratefully appreciated

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 03.14.21.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 03.11.48.png

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Drastic drop in speed - BT Infinity 2

Good morning Dax1 and welcome to the forum.......

Can you carry out the "quiet line" test ? Using a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the master socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. There should be no crackles, popping, buzzing, etc, in fact, it should be quiet........

Can you post the stats from your homehub ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Dax1
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I've done the quiet test now and the line is totally silent

0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Oh, and can you tell me where to find the stats from the home hub? It's a Home Hub 3. I'm using a Macbook Pro
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 19

If I remember rightly, the stats are available from the "helpdesk" tab after you have logged into the hub.

How long have you had infinity, and was it an Openreach engineer who installed it, or a sub-contractor ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Got it!

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 04.10.31.png

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 19

Can you go into the logs on the homehub and show the few lines when the hub last synced with the exchange. This should give the SNR figures.......

0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I hope this is the right thing 

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 04.21.48.png

0 Ratings
Dax1
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

The activity for the last hour looks like this

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 04.29.53.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

you could use routerstats with the hh3 which will give you more stats information than you currently have.  it's free and you can keep a record of your noise margin or conenction speed

edit 

as ray has already said the modem holds the stats so routerstats won't help - forgot fibre and not adsl - to early

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.