cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Dreadful upload speed and high noise

Dreadful upload speed and high noise. This is what I have got.Tonight's speedsTonight's speeds

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Dreadful upload speed and high noise

Is there any line noise?  Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Try a single disconnect of the DSL input, for about 20 seconds, and see if the line corrects itself when you reconnect it, as it could just have been a burst of interference which causes the profile change.

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Thanks guys - It's been like this for a few days. 

When you say to do a single DSL disconnect, do you mean turn the router off for 20 seconds? Or do something from the online control?

Will try the quiet line test tomorrow when I can get my corded phone back from next door!

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Ok I've done that. Amazed at the difference. Thanks so much for your advice 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Burmey wrote:

Ok I've done that. Amazed at the difference. Thanks so much for your advice 

Its usually the quickest way to fix the problem, on both VDSL and ADSL, provided there is no noise on the line. Disconnecting the DLS input to the home hub for a short while, is better than restarting the home hub, as its less intrusive.

It could be that there was an interfering signal  within one of the upload bandwidth slots, so forcing a re-connection means that a new set of frequencies would be allocated, avoiding the interfering signal.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Well it didn't last. Back to awful again from a wonderful 49 download and 6 upload. I think I need to report this as a fault. Just awful. Kids moaning, streaming impossible. Help please. I disconnected the dal again and immediately I got 44 download and 7 upload but I can't keep on doing this every couple of days surely? This is a new problem and only seems to be happening since the new update - but that could be a total coincidence. @Keith_Beddoe 

Can't hear any noise on the line at the momentScreenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.48.33.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Re: Dreadful upload speed and high noisez

If no line noise then you need to report broadband fault to customer services.  Hopefully engineer will fix fault and then reset the DLM

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Burmey 

Probably a burst of interference causing the line profile to change. It could be the home hub itself, but without an alternative to check it against, you are stuck.

The main upload frequency band is 8.5-12Mhz, as shown below. So it could be a fault within the hub causing the loss of that frequency band, or an issue with the line, as line faults tend to affect higher frequencies first.

Whatever it is, it soon recovers once you interrupt the line, and the upstream noise margin returns to normal.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

I can see why you've got to Distinguished Sage status. Thanks. Now I need to work out what to do about it.
0 Ratings