Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jazon
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Drop cable in gutter?

Hi,
Getting terrible speed test results today after bad weather, noticed that about 20ft of my broadband drop cable has been routed in my gutter.
Is this normal?
Wouldn't submerging it in water be bad for my connection?

Please advise,

Jason

I would post a picture if I knew how.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Drop cable in gutter?

Hi Jason,

If you could post a photo in this forum from a laptop/pc (***EDITED***) and ill have a look, maybe the cable woujld have previously been clipped but over time they have came undone.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Jazon
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

No the cable was recently fitted by open reach, there are no clips , it is just laying in the gutter and clipped where it exits down the wall.
I will go on my PC and post some pics.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

The cable is waterproof. Its unlikely to be the cause of your problems, unless the cable was defective in some way, then being in your gutter would only have accelerated any potential issues you would have.
Very poor workmanship either way.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 9

Please be aware that the majority of forum members are customers or individuals like yourself and are not a BT Group employee.

The only BT Group employees are the forum moderators and a few subject experts who can be identified by their badges next to their names.

Please do not share personal or sensitive information to other forum members unless it is required by a BT Group employee. Any personal and sensitive information will be handled and used within the company protocols and data protection laws.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Jazon
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Just to add a little more information.

I am on superfast broadband fttc max speed 17mb.

I normally get 14mb download , 0.8 upload.

Today I'm getting 9mb down, 0.2 up.

Weather was bad this afternoon rain and lightning.

My kids can't play online games because if anyone sends a message (photo) on whatsapp/Facebook there game lags or freezes.

I am in a rural area so thats the best connection I can get so no upgrade options.

Thanks for any advice,

Jazon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Jayebmx

Please never post personal details on this public forum that includes email address's phone numbers or account details as shown on this link https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/BTCare-Community-Forums-User-Guidelines/t...

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:
The cable is waterproof. Its unlikely to be the cause of your problems, unless the cable was defective in some way, then being in your gutter would only have accelerated any potential issues you would have.
Very poor workmanship either way.

Indeed. I had a "waterproof" BT cable die on me. Outside, nailed to the wall. Felll of and got buried. Eventually developed a fault.

So, poor workmanship indeed. BT can guarantee that the gutters wonlt' fill up with carp that wrecks the cable. Then there's the risk of a "bird strike". Birds love digging around for worms in dirty gutters.

0 Ratings
Jazon
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

5849516956599866306account_id=1_opt.jpg5849516956599866306account_id=1_opt.jpg

0 Ratings