Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Drop in speeds....

Go to solution

Maybe someone on the forums can help me. I’ve been rather frustrated by the online chat help provided to me thus far. 
So my internet has had connectivity issues for around a year or so which have resulted in having to reboot the router quite often... something which I know can result in problems now. 
The speed has been good despite the connectivity problems however and I’ve had a consistent speed of more than 20Mb/s when it was up. 
Our contract was up for renewal and I thought maybe a new router would solve the problem so we plumped an extra £5 a month and got the complete WiFi package with the latest router and three discs to cover the whole house.

The router and discs arrived and I set them up and bingo no more connection issues and the WiFi coverage was great! However.... since installing the new router the speed has decreased dramatically from around 22Mb/s to 16Mb/s. This is is extremely disappointing given I’ve just upgraded to the latest router tech and I’m getting a markedly slower speed.

After some research online and here on the forums I am wondering if this is a result of dynamic line management and if it possibly needs reset...

I set about trying to resolve this at the back end of last week on the online chat and in the first session was dealt with very badly and told “if the speeds were faster on my old router maybe I should plug that back in and use that”. I was disgusted that I was told to switch back to old equipment which, as far as I was concerned, was malfunctioning. I told them it was unacceptable that I was paying more to get the latest equipment, getting slower speeds and was advised to just use old equipment. To top this off they dismissed the conversation and abruptly ended the chat session.

Determined to get this sorted I tried again and got a different manager Pritha who was much more helpful. She said that she could see the speeds were down on my line and she would send an engineer visit for outside my property between the exchange and my address to try and solve the issue. She said she would contact me a few days later on the Saturday to inform me more about what the result of the visit had been and she assured me that BT would sort this issue out.  Needless to say Saturday came and went and I was not contacted at any point. It’s now Monday afternoon and my speeds have remained as they were. 

Can anyone help me get my broadband speeds back to what they should be??? 
I feel like no one at BT is willing to do anything to help at this point and it’s extremely frustrating. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Drop in speeds....

Go to solution

can you post hub stats  advanced settings then technical log information

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number but leave exchange and cab number

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Ok I hope this is everything you need. These are the results of my router log and my results from dslchecker.bt.com

Having rang and tried the quiet line test I can't hear any noise at all.

Technical LogTechnical Log

DSL Checker ResultsDSL Checker Results

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

your stats show a good stable 34 days connection with connection speed of 18mb and possible attainable of 23mb.  noise margin is higher than normal 6db probably due to historic connection problems

as your connection speed is within the expected 25/15mb range on dslchecker I doubt BT will do anything to help unless your line becomes faulty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I can understand that and I appreciate your help,  but that's the problem, it's slower now than before when I was using an older router. So effectively I'm paying more and getting slower speeds. It's not the stability of the connection that is the problem anymore, it's the speed I'm getting. Before we started having the connectivity issues we had an Openreach engineer visit who fixed a connection at the pole and tested our line inside at the master socket and told us we should be getting 20Mb download speeds easily and so we were after that on a regular basis. Fast forward to now and I'm getting 15Mb down average, never above 16Mb whilst paying more than previously.... It doesn't really make sense as to why my speeds have dropped by 5Mb and no longer hit anywhere near the speed the engineer stated we should be getting after testing our line.... As I said before it feels like BT have slowed our line down after all the restarts on the previous malfunctioning router.... Could this not be the case??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

It looks as though you have been banded by DLM at 18M due to the previous instability of your line. Banding can take some time for DLM to release and sometimes can get stuck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

So what would you suggest I do? Is there a way of resolving the banding issue??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Wait and hope it eventually relents. As @imjolly  has said, the help desk won't intervene as you are above the minimum speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

That’s frustrating.... 😕 So is it supposed to recover over time then? What if as you’ve said previous it’s become stuck at 18Mb? Is there just no way to recover my download speed then?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Stevey_Mac,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Sorry that you are experiencing slow speeds. With an uptime of over 30 days, we would like to think DLM would have lifted any banding that had been placed on your line. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team so that we can look into this for you.

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings