Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SarahV
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Dropouts

I have joined BT 4 month ago and on the faster fibre 76mb.
Between 7am/10am and 4pm/9pm my connection constantly drops out and the hub changes to orange light.

Every single day this happens and I've had enough, I never had these issues with talktalk, they have apparently done tests with no isses found REALLY?!?!.
Seems like I've made a bad move, I ain't paying 39.99 for another 14 month with this issue not a chance.
Hub has been reset numerous times makes no difference, direct connection from DSL socket to hub nothing else plugged in.

Thing that is doing my head in is I have to repeat myself over and over again when I ring up and have to do the same tests everytime, they don't work!

I'm at the point to cancel now, looking for a way out of the contract as fast as im concerned im not getting the service im paying for.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Dropouts

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi @SarahV,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your connection. Please can you try the quiet line test as suggested by @Keith_Beddoe

If your connection drops out around the same time each day, this could be electrical interference. Do you have anything set on a timer, like heating set to go on around the same time?

In order to help identify what is causing your connection to drop, please could you post your router stats as shown in Broadband - Top Tips to get help on the forum

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
denniseddie
Message 4 of 14

SarahV,  your not the only one with this problem, since i changed to superfast broadband my line too keeps dropping connection then restarting, never had this problem with normal broadband,,, 

0 Ratings
denniseddie
Message 5 of 14

SarahV, I have been getting the same problem since I switched to superfast 3 month ago, its so annoying when working online then it just drops connection then takes an age to restart.

0 Ratings
SarahV
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Cant I've no phone, only use internet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@SarahV wrote:
Cant I've no phone, only use internet

You will need to try a phone.

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
SarahV
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Nothing else plugged in, it seems to be peak times mainly.
I never had this with talktalk and.disnt need a phone then so what changed? The only things different is the new ISP and router
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

another advantage of having a cheap corded phone is the ability to check the problem is not on your side of the test socket before arranging an engineer visit.  If the fault is on your side of the test socket then you will be charged £129.99 for the engineer visit but free if fault on openreach side of test socket

£5 seems a good investment

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SarahV
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Ok got the phone did the test and I can hear someone talking, it's very faint but definitely something there.
0 Ratings