cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toppersuk
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Dropped connection every 14 days - BT say this is acceptable. It is not to me.

My BT HUB 6 looses network connection every 14 days.

This has been going on for over a year.

BT sent me a new hub, but no change.

I've had 5 BT Openreach engineers out to test the line, and no fault detected, although one did replace the outside cables.

Each engineer cannot explain it and say my line quality is good.

But every 14 days it drops out, and then reconnects within 3 minutes. 

Last night Network uptime reached 14 days and 7 hours before dropping out. I expect it will do the same in 14 days like it has done for the past year. 

Note that the 14 days isn't the same day or hour, as it's changed as the BT engineer has been and unplugged the router to do his tests, so it's no external interference (RAIN). 

For example it used be very 14 days on a Monday.  Then after BT engineer came every 14 days on a Wednesday, and after my last visit it's every 14 days on a Thursday evening.

I was on the phone to BT complaints department yesterday for over an hour.  The person I spoke to said that this was not a fault and that I was lucky (!!) as some people can experience 5 drop outs a day, due to the router needing an upgrade just like Windows reboots for an update. 

I said at least Microsoft tells you when it will reboot, and give you an option to when do it.

I argued that it is not stated anywhere in my contract that I will loose connection on such a regular basis. 

Any body have thoughts on this, or experience the same regular network disconnection.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Dropped connection every 14 days - BT say this is acceptable. It is not to me.

@toppersuk 

If you search the forum you will find that this is quite normal for BT home hubs, as they are controlled by BT and can be remotely rebooted, possibly to "refresh" the connection. It seems to be about every 14 days.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Re: Dropped connection every 14 days - BT say this is acceptable. It is not to me.

Most BT Hubs have the 14 days reboot cycles. If your connection is stable otherwise, you have nothing to worry about. My smarthub had the same for years and it hasn't had any impact on my connection. Now I have the g.fast connection along with the smarthub2 and it has the same however it seems a bit random. Sometimes it drops the connection after 21-22 days, sometimes 14 days, but there were a few occasions when after 7 days it resynced. As long as your connection speed is not affected I think you shouldn't be worried. 

0 Ratings
charlespw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Just wondered whether there has been any progress on this.

I get the 14 day reboot and have to reset a couple of devices that are linked to wi-fi. It's a pain to have to do this.

Has anyone ever claimed compensation from BT for this issue ?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

@charlespw 

this happens to some customers but as previously said as long as your connection is not affected then there is no problem just can be an inconvenience.  I know when it was happening to me I reset my hub at about 1/2 am so resets didn't affect my broadband usage.  then all of a sudden the resets stopped and mine now goes for months with no drops unless firmware update

There is nothing to compensate you for - a few minutes of downtime - surprised your have to reconnect some devices as I never had that problem everything just reconnected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
charlespw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

@imjolly Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The inconvenience is more to me that it seems to be to you. How would people react if the whole of the BT network went off for 10 minutes every two weeks. Would BT just think that it's OK because the network came back up ?

It's laughable that BT think it's an acceptable state of affairs. 

Why does it happen to some and not others?  What happens when it occurs when I'm working ? Bottom line is that it shouldn't. BT should replace my hub with one that doesn't have this issue.

I take it you don't have a Roberts RS1 radio adaptor and or the Roberts R1 system. I can assure you they do not reconnect automatically.

I have other devices that when I lose my BT wi-fi attempt to connect to other networks in my area....with no success obviously.

Is the issue specific to a certain hub model ?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15

I may be wrong but for you to notice it as much as you seem to suggests to me that you power your hub down overnight.

If so then, for the measly amount of power it consumes, may I suggest that you would be better off leaving it switched on, that way any reboots would most likely be overnight and you wouldn't notice them at all

0 Ratings
charlespw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

@Anonymous  Thanks for the response. No, l eave my hub on all the time.

I notice it in more than one way. Yes, the reboots generally happen during the night.

I have BT Sport, mainly for the baseball and to a lesser extent, cricket. The baseball is from the US and generally is on during the night. I record it, with a view to watch the next day and my recordings fail when the router reboots.

As mentioned earlier, I have an internet radio which is my primary audio listening device. After a router reboot, I have to do a full reinstall of the device. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 15

"Roberts RS1 radio adaptor and or the Roberts R1 system. I can assure you they do not reconnect automatically."

I have absolutely no knowledge of this product so I apologize in advance if what I'm about to suggest is rubbish.

Have you tried setting a static IP address on the device itself? anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.63 as long as you have not already assigned it to something else

0 Ratings
charlespw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

@Anonymous  I thank you for your suggestion, which I'll investigate.

0 Ratings