Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wyckerman
Message 1 of 4

EO (Exchange Only) Line?

Hi

I just found out via 'Digital Scotland' that my phone line is an 'Exchange Only' connection, so it can't get FTTC Broadband, even though I don't live in a rural area or very close to my local Telephone Exchange. The direct distance between the exchange and my home is 842m, and there is BT street cabinet about 150m from my home, which is in a built-up area. I know that it's Fibre Enabled, as some neighbours within 100m of my home have been given installation dates for their Fibre service. I have been searching Google for a simple solution to this 'Exchange Only' line problem, but I can't seem to find one.

My initial thoughts were that I'd have to get a new phone line installed which would be connected to the Fibre enabled street cabinet, but all the Google searching never gave this as a solution to my problem. I'll have to assume there is a technical reason for this, so I wondered if any of you fine people could shed some light on it? Is getting a new line installed a solution?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: EO (Exchange Only) Line?

no as you may get another EO line Openreach have recently started placing fibre cabinets out side exchanges all you can do is wait until that happens
0 Ratings
Wyckerman
Message 3 of 4

Hi John46

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I was hoping for more of an explanation. What would be the reason for not having a new line installed that connects directly to the street cabinet? It doesn't make sense to me that neighbours within 100m of my home are connected to the cabinet, and I'm connected directly to the exchange. There surely has to be a reason for this? If I had a new phone line installed, why would Openreach connect it directly to the exchange when there is a cabinet close by?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

They would probably just use the wiring that is already in place and that goes directly to the exchange. It is unlikely they would run new wires.

0 Ratings