cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Early cancellation of broadband

Hey guys, I’m looking for some advice as I am a new homeowner and this is my first time taking out and dealing with broadband.

I joined BT in September 2021 and long story short, I have had nothing but problems. I have quite low speeds as BT are one of the slower providers in my area. As per the contract I have, I am guaranteed a minimum 23mbps download speed. Majority of the time I am lucky to hit 15mbps. Now obviously I signed a contract with them for 18 months so is there something that will allow me to look elsewhere without paying early termination fee if they are now providing the promised service? 

Any help or feedback would be very helpful, thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Early cancellation of broadband

Have you spoken with BT about this at all? You'd need to let them investigate & they've got 30 days to fix it first, if they can't they can then let you leave early if needed but purely just doing it without speaking to them isn't the way to go.

Also are you testing with an ethernet cable or via wifi? If via wifi then are you able to test via a cable as well as wifi speeds are not guaranteed

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Millar1998 

Check to see what to expect with your current connection.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Please edit out your phone number before you post the result

Low speed is not accepted as a reason to cancel.

Your speed is determined by your distance from the cabinet, so it will be the same for all providers.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply. So I did speak with them when I was having original problems about 10 weeks ago. Apparently they had capped my speeds at the time but I only found this out after calling to query why it was so slow. They sent an engineer out who removed the caps but never really done much else. For about 24 hours I was then getting the guaranteed speeds but then went back down. I just ran a test which is showing it at 8mbps.

I’ll give them a call and report the issue again but just a bit of a headache to go in loops with the same issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

This is the test you need to run, using an Ethernet cable and not wireless.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Millar1998 wrote:

Apparently they had capped my speeds at the time but I only found this out after calling to query why it was so slow. They sent an engineer out who removed the caps but never really done much else. For about 24 hours I was then getting the guaranteed speeds but then went back down. I just ran a test which is showing it at 8mbps.

There would not have been a cap on your speed.

Please post the connection stats from your hub and a screenshot of the checker results from entering your phone number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL remember to edit out your phone number before posting.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Please remember the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your hub not download speeds at your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings