cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 16

Re: Economically not viable, or too rural?

Openreach does not receive government or BDUK funding for commercially viable cabinets.

When Openreach have considered a cabiinet not to be commecrcially viable they may receive funding via BDUK to install an FTTC cabinet for Superfastfibre. Should that cabinet later prove to be commercially viable then the funding received by Openreach must be repaid back into the scheme.

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 12 of 16

I used to have poor broadband (12/1) along with the neighbours at the end of my street as due to historical reasons we were connected to a distant cabinet whereas surrounding streets were connected to much closer cabinets. At the start of the year Openreach installed a single FTTP splitter on a pole available only to our dozen houses with poor broadband, whereas no one else in the area has FTTP. There was no announcement or explanation so I assume it was a combination of us being the only houses in the area which were below Superfast mimimum  and wanting to free up space in the cabinet for closer new build houses (as FTTP doesn't use cabinets). Or it could be something to do with Surrey BDUK but no one has claimed credit for it.

0 Ratings
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 13 of 16

@pippincp So, from what you say it is state funding to improve the profits of Openreach.  In effect the state is guaranteeing that Openreach will make money on the rollout or it will cover their costs.  It does not explain why Openreach have not rolled out to my community’s cabinet (107/Ascot ~800 meters from the exchange) unless for some reason the state only wants to fund cabinets where a profit can be made.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 16

@AGeezer wrote:

@pippincp So, from what you say it is state funding to improve the profits of Openreach.  In effect the state is guaranteeing that Openreach will make money on the rollout or it will cover their costs.  It does not explain why Openreach have not rolled out to my community’s cabinet (107/Ascot ~800 meters from the exchange) unless for some reason the state only wants to fund cabinets where a profit can be made.

Not at all. Any company can bid for funding. More details here.

http://www.superfastberkshire.org.uk/

0 Ratings
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Unfortunately in our less rural part of county the only option we have is Openreach.  If all of this state funding is not about profits (via removing any cost risk) then why are not all cabinets part of the programme?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 16

Ask superfast Berkshire.

0 Ratings