Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sloeberry
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Effect of extensions on speed

Go to solution

Background:

After many years of trouble-free "Infinity Plus" FTTC service (usually about 46MB down, 10MB up), my line developed a fault externally in September - caused by mechanical damage to the wire between the cabinet and my house (between telegraph poles). After a mere 4 weeks (!), this was fixed; however, no new line was put up, the engineer simply swapped me to a spare wire. While testing the signal at my master socket...

IMG_3805.JPG

...he commented that while the test socket signal was clean, I had some interference on my extensions, and that this might lower my broadband speed significantly. He suggested that I remove the extensions, and just run some DECT phones, with the main one plugged into the master socket and its 2 or 3 slaves dotted around the house.

Current situation:

With the master socket assembled as above, I'm getting a maximum of 46MB down as before, but oddly, 15MB up! My results from BT's ADSL checker are as follows.

Screenshot 2019-10-06 at 12.27.01.png

In terms of extensions, I have 4, at least 2 of which are in series with very long wire routing (it's an old house whose master socket was moved about 20 years ago).

My Question:

Am I correct that with the lower part of the faceplate off...

IMG_3806.JPG

...then the extensions are effectively removed from the line and the broadband should improve? If that's the case then I'm afraid it doesn't make any difference - speed testing in this state shows exactly the same results as when the extensions are plugged in.

Am I missing something here or are the extensions just making very little difference? The cabinet for my FTTC is about 30m away.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Effect of extensions on speed

Go to solution

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log/information.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

0 Ratings
Sloeberry
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I don't use the BT hub, and never have. In the past I've used DrayTek Vigor routers, but now I have an Openreach modem feeding an AMPLIFI router + WiFi extenders. I guess I could try and find the BT Hub to use for diagnostic purposes, but my question about the Openreach faceplate still stands. FYI here are the Speedtest.net results covering the period from about 4th September to present:

DownloadDownloadUploadUpload

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

test-socket-thumb.jpg

That is not the test socket when you remove the bottom plate of your master  you then need to remove the middle section shown by yellow arrow and then you will see the test socket shown by black arrow

connect filter to that test socket and then hub to filter and post stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sloeberry
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Fair enough, though I don't have an ADSL filter to hand (might have to buy one), and as previously stated, I don't use the BT hub and I'm not 100% sure where the unopened box containing it is! Is there likely to be a separate filter in there?

Let's assume I use the test socket as you suggest and get an improvement in download speed. How do I actually remove the extensions? Surely the extension wires are only attached to the bottom plate in any case, not any deeper within the master socket? Isn't testing it as I have so far the equivalent of no extensions + the inbuilt ADSL filter of the Openreach socket?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Sloeberry wrote:

Isn't testing it as I have so far the equivalent of no extensions + the inbuilt ADSL filter of the Openreach socket?

Yes, the extensions are clearly not causing a problem despite what the engineer said.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

the 'test socket' which you used is not the test socket and therefore you have not made a comparison bewteen extension socket and test socket

there is normally a filter in hub box

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

But the OP has made the comparison between extensions connected and not connected which is what he wanted to do.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

with the speeds shown on dslchecker you are further from your street cab than 30m - confirmed by you stats

@licquorice  all I am pointing out is that OP has not used the test socket

Sloeberry
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Interesting how my measured upload speed is the maximum expected though, and 5MB more than it was before the engineer changed the external wire to my house...

I'm aware what the "A" in ADSL stands for, but TBH I'd much rather have that extra 5MB added to the download speed!

0 Ratings