cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
habsRehman
Message 1 of 26

Engineer Did not turn up to install BT Infinity

Hi, I was due to have a BT Infinity install yesterday between 1pm -6pm. This was confirmed by email and the Home Hub delivered.

However, no engineer turned up.

I've signed in to the account and it tells me that "There is a delay to the provision of your Broadband order which we are currently investigating with our suppliers. We will keep you informed of any progress, please keep checking online for further updates."

However, we've received no contact from BT regarding this issue. I'm not particularly happy about this, is this normal for BT?

The complete lack of communication from a communications company is absolutely disgusting!!

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Engineer Did not turn up to install BT Infinity

You posted this at 1.32pm just over 1/2 an hour into the timeslot or did you expect him to arrive at exactly 1.00pm?

0 Ratings
habsRehman
Message 3 of 26

I can't believe I put today, sorry brain fart, I meant yesterday. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 26

That explains things.Smiley Happy

Either ring in to find out what the problem is or contact the mods here and they will do it for you.

Be aware it can take around 3 days for a reply from the mods depending on workload.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 26

Sounds like there is a problem with the street cabinet and BT are awaiting a fix.

0 Ratings
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

When I had my install last Friday, the engineer said that he had two more to do that day, and he left my house about 2PM. But he did say that 'I might not get to them'.

So this is how things are, and he wasn't from Openreach, he was a private contractor working on behalf of Openreach. He tells me that they're very busy and he has been working in my area for several weeks - he normally works in the large city about 30 miles away.

Looks like they don't have too much control over the contractors, and then if installs take longer (mine was as simple as they can be - but he was still with me just over an hour), then they might no get to all their calls.

Be nice to inform the customer though 😞
0 Ratings
habsRehman
Message 7 of 26

There is a notification on the broadband service status page, stating "Due to suspected Cable Thefts & damage caused by 3rd parties, a small number of our customers in the below areas, may experience a loss of telephone and/or broadband services." which does cover my area. 

But, I don't see how this should have hindered our install. I've emailed customer help to be sure and hopefully I'll have call back to reschedule another date for the install. 

0 Ratings
habsRehman
Message 8 of 26

It's the lack of communication which is most frustrating, I presume the contractor has my contact number to confirm he's going to switch the line, so it would have been nice to have received a call if they're unable to make the appointment.

0 Ratings
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

I agree, it's a simple courtesy to call and postpone the appointment.

However, not excusing that, if there was a service problem in your area, then maybe they wouldn't have been able to set it up and demonstrate it. Imagine if it had been set up but something was wrong, and you were told that it will work when the area problem is fixed....
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 26

@mrnumbskull wrote:
When I had my install last Friday, the engineer said that he had two more to do that day, and he left my house about 2PM. But he did say that 'I might not get to them'.

So this is how things are, and he wasn't from Openreach, he was a private contractor working on behalf of Openreach. He tells me that they're very busy and he has been working in my area for several weeks - he normally works in the large city about 30 miles away.

Looks like they don't have too much control over the contractors, and then if installs take longer (mine was as simple as they can be - but he was still with me just over an hour), then they might no get to all their calls.

Be nice to inform the customer though 😞

Those contractors should inform the customer though, they have the contact number.

The problem is that, unlike Openreach engineers, they are paid on a per install basis. They are focused in getting to the next job rather than take the time to make a phone call.

The following day they get their next installs so where is the time (for them) to go back on the previous days as they are target driven.

A possible solution would be to take OR engineers off general installs and have them pick up what the contractors missed the previous day and sort out their "**bleep** ups" with star wiring etc.

Don't know if this would be feasable though.

0 Ratings