Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 26

Re: Engineer Did not turn up to install BT Infinity

@pippincp wrote:

@mrnumbskull wrote:
When I had my install last Friday, the engineer said that he had two more to do that day, and he left my house about 2PM. But he did say that 'I might not get to them'.

So this is how things are, and he wasn't from Openreach, he was a private contractor working on behalf of Openreach. He tells me that they're very busy and he has been working in my area for several weeks - he normally works in the large city about 30 miles away.

Looks like they don't have too much control over the contractors, and then if installs take longer (mine was as simple as they can be - but he was still with me just over an hour), then they might no get to all their calls.

Be nice to inform the customer though 😞

Those contractors should inform the customer though, they have the contact number.

The problem is that, unlike Openreach engineers, they are paid on a per install basis. They are focused in getting to the next job rather than take the time to make a phone call.

The following day they get their next installs so where is the time (for them) to go back on the previous days as they are target driven.

A possible solution would be to take OR engineers off general installs and have them pick up what the contractors missed the previous day and sort out their "**bleep** ups" with star wiring etc.

Don't know if this would be feasable though.

I think if it gets to the point of having to take OR engineers out of there installs then it's time to get rid of the contractors all together.

0 Ratings
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

I can concur that they are paid on a per job basis, as that's what the contractor also told me.

You'd imagine that they hate the jobs where they must install the extra internal cables, install software etc!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 26

@mrnumbskull wrote:
I can concur that they are paid on a per job basis, as that's what the contractor also told me.

You'd imagine that they hate the jobs where they must install the extra internal cables, install software etc!

No engineer Openreach or otherwise has any software to install.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 26

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

@mrnumbskull wrote:
When I had my install last Friday, the engineer said that he had two more to do that day, and he left my house about 2PM. But he did say that 'I might not get to them'.

So this is how things are, and he wasn't from Openreach, he was a private contractor working on behalf of Openreach. He tells me that they're very busy and he has been working in my area for several weeks - he normally works in the large city about 30 miles away.

Looks like they don't have too much control over the contractors, and then if installs take longer (mine was as simple as they can be - but he was still with me just over an hour), then they might no get to all their calls.

Be nice to inform the customer though 😞

Those contractors should inform the customer though, they have the contact number.

The problem is that, unlike Openreach engineers, they are paid on a per install basis. They are focused in getting to the next job rather than take the time to make a phone call.

The following day they get their next installs so where is the time (for them) to go back on the previous days as they are target driven.

A possible solution would be to take OR engineers off general installs and have them pick up what the contractors missed the previous day and sort out their "**bleep** ups" with star wiring etc.

Don't know if this would be feasable though.

I think if it gets to the point of having to take OR engineers out of there installs then it's time to get rid of the contractors all together.

Yes in an ideal world. But openreach do not have the engineers necessary to do it all themselves. It is easier to employ a company to supply contractors to get the job finished.

It is also interesting to note that Virgin Media also employed the same companies and had the same sort of complaints relating to installs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mrnumbskull
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

No engineer Openreach or otherwise has any software to install.
From the email I received from BT:
Every installation's a bit different, but your engineer should:
show things are working and install free BT Broadband Desktop Help on your main computer. You can find out more about BT Broadband Desktop Help - including how it can help you set up email and wi-fi connections - at www.bt.com/help/broadbanddesktophelp. There's also a copy of BT Broadband Desktop Help on the broadband installation CD that came in your welcome pack. Sorry, but desktop help isn't available for Macs

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 26

Yeah, as part of the Managed Install for 'Infinity' the Engineer should install BT Broadband Desktop Help.

Not that anyone does though, would take to long, especially with the old computers some people seem to keep.

Anyway, Desktop Help is as much use as bike is to a fish as its only capable of doing three things;

1. Telling you your broadband isn't working.

2. Telling you to restart you HH3

and if that doesn't get you back online select option 3, which is

3. Cancel any plans you had and call BT Tech Help...............

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 26

@Icarus wrote:

Yeah, as part of the Managed Install for 'Infinity' the Engineer should install BT Broadband Desktop Help.

Not that anyone does though, would take to long, especially with the old computers some people seem to keep.

Anyway, Desktop Help is as much use as bike is to a fish as its only capable of doing three things;

NO!

No engineer from any ISP has the right to touch your computer without your permission and certainly no right to install any software of any kind!

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 26

@pippincp wrote:

@Icarus wrote:

NO!

No engineer from any ISP has the right to touch your computer without your permission and certainly no right to install any software of any kind!

The engineer is required to install the software. If you refuse though... well you make their job easier. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 19 of 26

@pippincp wrote:

@Icarus wrote:

NO!

They agreed when signing the Contract.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
jonbur999
Contributor
Message 20 of 26

BT are about the worst company I have had the misfortune to deal with.

I have not had any internet for a week due to their total inability to talk to one another, the customer is well down the pecking order.

If they have not installed it then I would certainly cancel if I had my time again.

Unfortunately BT can't even cancel the job at the moment so you probably have no hope either, but if you have internet atall now you are ahead of the game.

0 Ratings