Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAXBAKER64
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Engineer Help

Go to solution

(All of this is on a separate accounts)

So I was having issues with my BT Fibre and I contacted Live Chat. The person on there he ran me through basic procedures then proceeded to do a test on my line. He said there "Was a fault on the line" and he said he was sending an engineer out to me (tomorrow). This is a new house I moved into, therefore I was wondering if there was a charge for this, since the person on Live Chat seemed to skip over that section. I assumed it was free until I did some googling and found other people were charged £150, even though I was unaware of this? 

Thanks, Max.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Engineer Help

Go to solution

You will only be charged if the fault is found to be with your internal wiring or damage caused by you.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

0 Ratings
MAXBAKER64
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
The person on live support just said there was a fault in the line. Ive lived in this house since 7th of this month, so I couldn't of caused the damage. is a "fault in the line" considered damage I did?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

When it says damage caused by you, it means damage that caused by somebody and not a line or Openreach equipment fault. 

Obviously without knowing what the fault is it is impossible to say but it is most likely not anything to do with you and will be a line fault especially if you did the checks as asked by the Customer Service rep.

If you have just taken out the Broadband package you will not be charged because it will be classed as an instillation problem.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I would ensure that there is nothing in you premises either wiring or connected equipment causing a problem or you will get charged by the engineer. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
MAXBAKER64
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I got the smart hub in the post on the 14th and plugged it in did nothing else, so i'm guessing its something with the house. How much will the charge be if it's something todo with me? Even if it varies

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Read the link I posted. It has all the information you need.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

When you say this is a new house do you mean new to you but has probably had half a dozen owners over the past 100 years since it was built or do you mean new house as in it you’ve just bought a brand new constructed house?

If it’s the latter then it may be FTTP you have. If so you have plugged the Router into the big ONT Box your Developer probably stuck in the most ridiculous of places like the boiler cupboard in the upstairs match box room they claim is a third bedroom and not plugged it into one of the PSTN LJU’s around the house?

0 Ratings
MAXBAKER64
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
if im honest, didnt understand most of that. But yes, its a new house to me, and the box is in a sensible place in my living room. I know the box is some-what wired up correctly as my Ariel is plugged into it and it works
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Your aerial is plugged into what box? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings