cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Engineer and chat help tell me FTTC is enabled in my street, but can't order.

Hey folks, I had an engineer in the other day to check a possible fault in my line and around the same time he turned up a second BT van with Fibre Optic and BT Infinity plastered over it.  The original engineer, in small talk as he does line tests, mentions it's good we're getting FTTC installed in the street.  I asked him if he knew that for a fact and he said yeah it was happening right then.

So sods law, the fault I've been experiencing doesn't show up and I can't replicate it (but it starts again the same night, typically), so I take him at his word and the next day go to BT online chat support to get confirmation that my street is being enabled for broadband today.  Chat confirms what he's said after checking and recommends I call the sales team if I want to order.

Confusingly the sales team tell me my street isn't enabled for FTTC, and the bt and openreach websites both tell me the same thing.  It could be that it's not finished yet, or that BT systems need updating to reflect the changes I don't know.

What I'd really like to know is, assuming my street was actually being upgraded to FTTC (my exchange and most of the town already has it), how long will it be before I can place an order?  

I work online and my current 3mb connection is absolute murder!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer and chat help tell me FTTC is enabled in my street, but can't order.

Best advise is just keep trying
Highlighted
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Re: Engineer and chat help tell me FTTC is enabled in my street, but can't order.

@Jonabob87 wrote:

You need the BT Infinity business line if using your line for work.

Item 3 of residential terms and conditions state.....

3. The services and equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

@ianm42 wrote:

@Jonabob87 wrote:

You need the BT Infinity business line if using your line for work.

Item 3 of residential terms and conditions state.....

3. The services and equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes.

True, there them are teh rulez, lol, and don't email work, skype work, do online research for work, download stuff for work, VoIP work.

Its not like he's running a website server is it, everyone that works uses his connection at some point for work, christ, I know I do some times.

Rant over

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

You can use the BT Wholesale checker for your phone number, or address, or postcode which may tell you :
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Tags (1)
Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Unfortunately that just gives me the same 30th June estimate date the other websites give me.

Guess I'll just have to wait it out!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Jonabob87 wrote:
Unfortunately that just gives me the same 30th June estimate date the other websites give me.

Guess I'll just have to wait it out!

Until your number appears on the checker as having Infinity available you won't be able to order it.

Your cab may well be ready but until the Openreach engineer reports back that all is good to go then Openreach will not release it to the ISP's as ready for orders.

Keep checking as the date will change as soon as it's released.