cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Engineer charges

Go to solution

Hi

I wonder if someone can clarify something for me? 

On 5th December 2012 i signed up for BT Infinity. When i called to book an engineer, i told the operater that i wanted the master socket moved from the loft (it's an old house) to the room below, to which she replied "that's all included in the installtion charge".

After several appointments that BT rescheduled and an engineer that didn't even bother to turn up, it was installed on the 31st January 2013. The engineer used the existing cabling in the house to move the master socket to another room. For the following two weeks i would have problems every day with infinity dropping and disconnecting so i called an engineer out. He informed me that the original engineer had wired it incorrectly.

Yesterday, i received a bill from BT for £99 for engineer callout. When i called to complain, BT say it's because the second engineer had to replace 'starwiring' which (apparently) they don't maintain. I told them that the original engineer had used that wiring to install the new master socket to which they replied that the engineer shouldn't have moved the socket and it's not part of the installation and i had been mis informed. 

I actually got in touch with the engineer who repaired the install (he lives just down the road) and he told me that the original engineer should have replaced the wiring. I've also read that a data extension kit could also be used.

I really don't know what to beleive now. Every operson i talk to at BT give me a different story. I reallly don't want to pay £99 for something that the orignal engineer was too lazy to do.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer charges

Go to solution

Hi Simonhayward.

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry for the hassle that has been caused here.  I would like to look into this for you and see what is in the engineer report.

Can you please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I am not an expert on this but ...

Starwiring is things like extra extensions installed (probably by GPO) from taps off the main wiring and before the master socket.  My understanding was that BT/Openreach is responsible for ALL wiring before the master socket, and therefore for any legal star wiring installed by themselves or their predecessors.

It would have been illegal for you to tamper with it.  The only exception I can see to that is if an individual (rather than the GPO) installed the star wiring at some time in the past;  that would itself have been illegal and you could expect to be charged for having it fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Sean 

Thanks for looking at this for me.

PM sent

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I have no idea who installed the star wiring. But surely if it wasn't adequate i should have at least been told, but instead the original engineer used it to fit the new master socket rather than using new cable.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.

I had message left on my answer phone from BT late on Friday afternoon to say that they've looked into the engineers reports and have now decided that they would refund the £99 (Thank you Sean if this is something that you instigated). I'm still very disappointed that i have to call several times and get in touch via a forum to dispute a charge to which BT now admit was unjust.

0 Ratings
fable
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

your problem mirrors my  "ex-problem" with the same outcome

are your extensions now wired to the new infinity faceplate--mines were not and were affecting my speeds till they were moved to the faceplate and now on a 40/10 package I am getting 38.5/8.5 was 27 before shift then 32

Billing put a £99 charge on my bill yesterday--it has been taken off today

0 Ratings