cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quaid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Engineer for self-install?

Hi, new to BT, moving into a new flat (a newish build, maybe around 2000?) and have booked BT Infinity/phone/TV when we move in a couple of weeks. I've booked in for a self install. It told me several times that I don't need to be in for the install to happen. BUT my letting agent is saying in the past BT have had to come into the apartment building to fiddle with some cabinet. I know the engineer has to connect A to B in the box on the street to get my broadband connected- is it possible that would happen inside my apartment building?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Engineer for self-install?

If the flat currently has phone/broadband then a visit will not be required.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

If you are getting an install for an order with everything ie TV/bb/phone then they usually send an engineer.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

The OP has booked a self-install. The question surrounds whether access to (presumably) an internal DP within the building will be required to enable service to the flat. If the flat is already connected, no work will be required as the line will already be through to the external cabinet.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

I know what the op has booked. I was only saying that if someone places a high value order, they usually like to send an engineer so it all goes smoothly for the customer. Openreach has been doing self install fibre along side an appointment for a line install for some time now. This is where people get confused. Also access to the internal dp is pointless as they are never labeled up so an engineer will be unable to confirm if the line is going to the right place.
0 Ratings