cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Engineer 'forgot' to register the installation

Hi all,

I have had the most stupid experience with BT imaginable... Infinity finally arrived to my area a month ago, so I arranged to get the new service with BT. An 'engineer' came to install everything (access point, Openreach router, WiFi hotspot) about 3 weeks ago, and everything worked straight away.

The funny thing started when I got a call from BT the day after, asking to rearrange the meeting with the 'engineer' as the installation couldn't be done the day after. I told them that I was at home and the guys installed everything correctly, and I was getting the Inifinity high speed already. They were surprised, but they registered this.

Two days ago, the connection has been lost. Not a surprise. I just called Openreach and they confirmed that no engineer has ever been at mine and that I never got the Inifinity connected. I tried to explain that I was there, and everything was installed, just everything they need is to re-activate from their side what they have disconnected, but no, they keep insisting that an 'engineer' needs to come to my place to check that everything is ok and activate the connection. I am really annoyed as this won't happen until March 25th... 

Any way to submit a complain to OfCom or something similar for inconpetency? Can I get any compensation for the two weeks without broadband that I will have just because this guy forgot to submit the completed order? 

Thanks,

Andres

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
jonbur999
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Engineer 'forgot' to register the installation

You will be lucky if they honour that date, they usually say there is a fault on the line.

They are a disaster and really do not care I am sorry to say.

Tell them up front you intend to claim for the extra day off work and how much that will be.

It may do you no good but at least you will have told them in writing if you decice to make a claim.

Every one on here will tell you to get in touch with the mods but they are totally ineffective in my experience, better to email via the official complaint process on the website.

They have way more clout I think.

I have been without internet for 3 weeks

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Engineers don't register an installation. All their tasks are downloaded to their laptop, once they have completed said task they have to either Complete or Incomplete it. If they don't do either the task will remain pinned to them and I can guarantee that within 24 hours the engineers manager would be on his/her back as to why they still have the job on their terminal.

Sounds to me like he's completed it but there has been a problem with the closure either at Openreach's end of BT's. Either way it wouldn't be the fault of the engineer so to make a complaint against this guy is unjustified and unfair.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

@Icarus wrote:

Engineers don't register an installation. All their tasks are downloaded to their laptop, once they have completed said task they have to either Complete or Incomplete it. If they don't do either the task will remain pinned to them and I can guarantee that within 24 hours the engineers manager would be on his/her back as to why they still have the job on their terminal.

Sounds to me like he's completed it but there has been a problem with the closure either at Openreach's end of BT's. Either way it wouldn't be the fault of the engineer so to make a complaint against this guy is unjustified and unfair.

If the engineer incorrectly incompleted the wrong job then what the op is describing could happen and the engineer would be to blame. 

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I got my Infinity 2 installed yesterday ..it was scheduled for between 13:00-18:00 and the guy came about 14:00 and was here about an hour ...he was a bit ham fisted but got the job done .He didn't use a laptop but another piece of kit which looked like an overgrown Multimeter ( he said it cost £2K) and he connected it to the renewed Master Socket and after putting in the job details it spoke back to him and said all was OK. He did mention he had to be careful to enter MY details as otherwise he'd be checking someone elses installation.

What I did get was a voicemail message from BT to say that my equipment would be with me soon ...Err but that was almost at 18:00 hrs when that came through . 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3761870707.png
0 Ratings