cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Engineers devices get full speed but mine do not

@AaronP 

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device. Even on Ethernet, you need a high specification device.

It was never intended that people get 900mb on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

@PB54 The router will always report 1000Mbps as that is the link speed between the ONT and the router. You can't see the received rate with FTTP as that is only seen at the ONT which isn't user accessible.

Message 13 of 22

I would concentrate on the Ethernet connected device first. Can you check if in theory it’s network card can deal with 500mbs. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Hi, I don’t know if this thread is closed, but if not, I have just had FTTP 900 installed with the following set-up :-Single  Ethernet connection from the Homehub 2 to two daisy-chained 8-port Netgear switches. All ports are in use (or are at least connected to something – tv, xbox, sky Q etc). One port is connected to a 3-Dish Wholehome Wifi (a lot of wireless connections hanging off it). As reported, speed to hub is a healthy 947mbs but on my side, every device is running at 94mbps tops. This includes devices directly connected to the Netgear switches and all the wifi devices served by the dishes. What is puzzling is if I disconnect all devices by removing the ethernet cable and plug a laptop directly into one of the router ports, I get the same result. This, I think, should discount any and all of my connected devices leaving only the laptop connected. Perhaps the laptop cant operate at more than 100mbs, I don’t know. If this is true, if there is a device lurking among my many other devices that cannot handle d/l speeds of more than 100mbps, would this pull all the others down to the same speed?

Help please.

PT.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

It’s possible your laptop doesn’t have a Gb lan , or if using Windows OS , that it’s not correctly set up , as stated , it’s invariably the end users kit that is responsible for poor performance when hyper fast FTTP speeds are purchased but the consumer is underwhelmed by the ‘performance’
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Thanks for that. I appreciate that connected devices generally function at considerably lower speeds than the fibre to the router, but 84mbs against 900mbs is abysmal. However, I think I may have found the problem - one of my two switches only  operates at 10/100mbs which might explain the low download speeds from most of the devices connected to it (desktop included).  This the one that connects to the HomeHub. I'll swap it for a 10/100/1000 job which should do the trick. I suspect my  laptop will only work at 100mbs  as well whether it be by wi-fi or ethernet.

Cheers

PT

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

@oldbuffer1 

"I suspect my laptop will only work at 100mbs as well whether it be by wi-fi or ethernet."

You could prove that easily by temporarily plugging the laptop directly in to the Hub - making sure that the cable you use is either Cat5e or Cat6.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Tried that with nothing else connected. Could only squeeze about 90mbs which leads me to suspect further that one of my switches  (the 10/100) is throttling everything since this is the switch that is connected to the hub. Wholehome Wi-fi and all other devices  fan out from there. Replacement 10/10/1000 switch on order which should up the speeds considerably (I hope!)

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

@oldbuffer1 

One of us is getting confused - it might well be me!

A 10/100 switch connected to one ethernet port will not "drag down" the speeds available on the other ethernet ports on the hub.

If your laptop is capable of 10/100/1000, then provided it is connected directly to the hub, (ie no switches in the line), with a cable of at least Cat5e, then the laptop will connect at 1000 regardless of what is connected to the other hub ports.

If you are saying that the laptop is connected directly to the hub, but can only achieve a 100 connection, then either that is all your laptop is capable of, or the cable is only Cat5 - not Cat5e of Cat6. If that is the case, then a 10/100/1000 switch will make no difference to the speed your laptop connects at.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

@Paul608085wrote:

@oldbuffer1 

One of us is getting confused - it might well be me!

A 10/100 switch connected to one ethernet port will not "drag down" the speeds available on the other ethernet ports on the hub.

If your laptop is capable of 10/100/1000, then provided it is connected directly to the hub, (ie no switches in the line), with a cable of at least Cat5e, then the laptop will connect at 1000 regardless of what is connected to the other hub ports.

If you are saying that the laptop is connected directly to the hub, but can only achieve a 100 connection, then either that is all your laptop is capable of, or the cable is only Cat5 - not Cat5e of Cat6. If that is the case, then a 10/100/1000 switch will make no difference to the speed your laptop connects at.

Or your Cat5e cable is faulty or damaged as it may be using only the orange/green pair which would limit the speed to 100meg

0 Ratings