cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 10

Error no carrier caused drop in connection and IP lower.

I have had this problem with the error no carrier in the past with no problems. However this time when I ran the speed test the speed was lower and on doing the further diagnostics the IP profile had dropped but this is at odds with the hub stats and event log.
The line is quiet and nothing has changed.

These are the stats etc   

hub stats 10.53  23 Dec.PNG

speed 10.51  23 Dec.PNG

log  10.55 23 Dec.PNG

The event log does not show any dsl line stats for the resynch. The IP profile for the down speed has always been 53.17 until now.
The master socket has a seperate port for the broadband connection. I am not connected to the test socket at the moment.

In the past these no carrier events have occurred at the same time and the event log has never shown a line for the dsl stats and the IP hasn't changed. 

The SNR has always been at that level ever since I upgraded to Infinity in May. Given that the hub stats don't seem to correlate with the reduced IP profile I think the hub may be faulty as I had done a factory reset on 29 Nov because the hub had booted the existing firmware again.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Error no carrier caused drop in connection and IP lower.

Could a MOD look at this sometime because the IP profile of 50.67 does not correspond with the data rate of 54.997. The profile should be 53.17 which is what is has been prior to this drop.

Given that the hub stats show a 54.997/9.999 rate which is far lower than the max data rate it does not make sense for the profile to have dropped. Either there is a problem with the hub stats and there is a hub problem or the IP profile is wrong or has been corrupted.

Is it at all possible that the IP profile %'s have been revised by Openreach - again a mod could state whether this hasn't happened.

I know I am only talking about a 2.5 drop in speed but given the stats it should not have happened at all especially considering the max data rate is 90+. 

Edit - I have just looked at the Kitz site which still shows  96.8% for the IP based on synch speed . However there is also an entry "Note: Figure is 91-92% for lines which have High Re-tx DLM profiles." Using the 92% gives my IP profile. So why has this been introduced if it has? and how is it removed.

Since mid June the only drops were  29 Oct firmware update to exisiting firmware , 30 Oct firmware update to newest version , 2 Nov error no carrier , 18 Nov error no carrier , 29 Nov firmware update to exisiting version again followed by Factory reset.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

I think this explains your profile

From observations, BT would appear to be using approx 96.8% of the sync speed to calculate the IP profile for the FTTx products.
Please note that if your DLM profile is set to Retransmission High, then this figure will be nearer 91% to allow for the additional overheads.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@imjolly Thanks for the reply - I was doing an edit of my last post to mention the 91-92% figure.

Could you give me a bit more info on what Retransmission High  is and why DLM has applied it now  and how it can be removed. Is it line specific or cab specific. Mine is Cab 84 Bridgwater.

The cab has G.inp and G.Fast very recently so could either of these have an impact because of the high SNR since I am well below the max data rate. - just guessing really.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

I copied that from kitz  so try reading there

i think you probably need mod help to try and get it set back to standard/normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@imjolly  Kitz only says this  "Because the IP Profile makes an allowance for overheads, any lines which have Interleave High or G.INP High Retransmission DLM Profiles will find the additional redundancy increases the total overhead allowance to circa 8-9%."

It looks like I will be needing Mod help but accept that it won't be until the New Year so if you could flag it for their attention it would be much appreciated. Hopefully they will be able to give an insight as to why it has happened.

Could it be partly due to the smart hub which I think may well be a reconditioned unit since it has in the past updated firmware to the existing firmware , has the  "error no carrier" drop outs and can lose wireless connectivity (but not drop the internet connection). 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Re-transmission is G.Inp.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

If such a tiny %age loss in speed is causing you problems why don't you re-contract to Superfast2 instead of capping yourself at 55M?

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@licquoricewrote:

If such a tiny %age loss in speed is causing you problems why don't you re-contract to Superfast2 instead of capping yourself at 55M?

The problem was why the profile dropped when all the hub stats remained the same. It didn't look right and now that the explanation has been given I just want to know why the 92% is being applied. I can live with the lower rate if I know the reasons for it and can't afford the current prices to upgrade to Superfast2 unfortunately.

On a more personal level unexpected and unexplained changes cause me more problems than your "usual normal person" even if they appear silly to other people - I just have to cope with that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Fair enough

0 Ratings